18mm SEM Reflections

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by Mijo, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I only use this lens with the adapter and filters on my M9M and MP and I noticed that every now and then I'll get images that appear to have reflections of other parts of the scene in either the upper corners or the upper middle of the frame. I'm was guessing the reflections were caused by light coming at specific angles or through the vents at the top of the adapter.

I recently returned from Yellowstone and developed a roll and I noticed that one of the frames had a reflection in the upper corner of the frame (within the sky) of some branches that are in the lower half of the frame. What's really strange is that while I shot a number of frames of the same scene, on a trip pod simply adjusting the shutter speed and nothing else, the reflection only appears in one frame.

I'm at a loss on what could be causing these random reflections and how to eliminate or at least reduce the frequency of them appearing. Anyone has any suggestions or ideas?

2. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I brought my MP with the 18mm SEM, adaptor and filter attached to the community darkroom to see if anyone could figure out what's causing the reflections in some of my images. The consensus seems to be that the reflections are caused from light entering in from the rear of the adaptor's vents and being bounced around between the filter and the front lens element. Makes sense to me but doesn't explain why I'm getting reflections on some images but not all images when the camera is set up on a tripod. Since I only look through one of the adaptor vents I might try and tape off the other one so that it might lessen the possibility of the reflections appearing.

Most of the darkroom photogs and staff members seemed more interested in my kit than the problem I was trying to address. One staff members called my kit a "beautiful material object" and was appalled at the thought of using gaffer's tape to cover one of the adapter's vents.

3. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Tell him you'll use gold-infused gaffer's tape to keep the "beautiful object" measure high. :biggrin:

Definitely go for the tape (gold-infused optional), do see if that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Here's an example of the reflections mentioned in the initial post, upper left corner. That flag is directly behind me and to the left, the sun is behind but almost directly above. I've noticed more and more of these reflections with increased use of this lens. The reflection is subdued in this image as it was shot with a polarizer, it's more visible when a color filter is used.

L1003263.

5. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Does the lens hood on this have the cut-through so as not to block the viewfinder? if so, I wonder if the there is a reflection from that onto the lens ...

6. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    The hood does have a cut through but you can't use the hood with filters or a polarizer, you have to remove the hood and screw in an adapter (Leica only makes one adapter for this lens and it's for 77mm filters). The adapter has two large cut throughs or vents. When shooting film I've stopped using the adapter / filters altogether since I can adjust the contrast through the filters associated with the enlarger but that's not really the solution I was going for. I bought filters (yellow, orange and red) and a polarizer specifically for this lens and it feels like a waste not to use them, still use them on my digital M body.