A blog I thought was educational...

Kirk Tuck's blog is one of my favorite blogs, I have read Kirk Tuck's posts for several months now and I have not got tired yet.

The real key to this entry is that vision is really addressed. He also mentions that vision or understanding vision is never taught. For my own personal photography, I think that the vision is lacking. I have only a vague idea of what my vision is, and I have no clue of how to make it better, more definable, or something that I can execute on a consistent basis.

Jason, this is one of the subjects that we're hoping we can help flesh out, so to speak, by discussing our photographs and why we take them...along with how to learn to see or find one's own artistic vision. One of the main goals that I have in mind for Serious Compacts is to hone in on this very sort of thing within Image Works, and I know that Don feels the same way. I also think it's safe to say that quite a few members are interested in this kind of subject as well - and this is why we're working together to create an atmosphere here which will allow us to look more deeply into the image processes, in order be able to go out and not just "take" pictures but to make them. So, you're in the right place for this kind of learning, at least I think so.

We've been making a lot of changes here on the site...different forums and subforums, we've now got the Photo Critique forum, Bill's Pub and the Groups...and we have a few more things we're working on in order to arrange the place to be more conducive to these kinds of discussions and really get down to some serious "how to's" whether they be technical, so as to be able to achieve one's goals by making one's pictures look the way one wants them to, or learning to allow oneself to "see" better so as to let what each is after in photographing to evolve, clarify and grow.

All good thoughts Jason. I appreciate so much your writing about them here and think that there's going to be all sorts of things happening that will help in your own goals for yourself...and for the rest of us, as well.

Finally had a chance to read this blog entry by Kirk Tuck.

Here are a couple of zinger excerpts, however the entire entry is well worth reading.

... at an even deeper level, we've stopped thinking about what we WANT to say and now only concentrate on HOW to say things.
...understanding your own vision and following it is something that comes from personal reflection and constant, solitary practice.
All of the hand tools (flashes, triggers, modifiers) we work so hard to master in detail are just ephemeral fluff and they'll be replaced in a year or two with something new and shiny and blingy...

The thing that stays is the style and vision that your finally make your own.

I'd like to offer a big thank you to Mr. Kirk Tuck for calling it as he sees it. I also really do enjoy his style of writing and ruminating.

And many thanks, again, to you Jason for bringing this April 7th, 2011 essay to us here on SC.

we're working together to create an atmosphere here which will allow us to look more deeply into the image processes, in order be able to go out and not just "take" pictures but to make them.

An excellent idea. Its interesting and fun to talk about the kit, but it is a means to an end after all.

Back