1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 8.5cm F2 Sonnar, Contax RF to Leica adapter, custom indexed Cam

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    This is Vince's old lens, picked up in a trade for the Canon 50/0.95. This lens is beautiful, Vince did a great job relubing it. Very smooth. Perfect glass, although some of the black paint on the side of the front triplet has separated- this happens a lot. Not worth opening it up, but I have fixed this problem in the past with a Black Sharpie.

The biggest issue- getting a Fast Telephoto in contax RF mount to focus properly on a Leica RF. Easy for an M240- use Liveview. I have an M9, a Hong Kong made adapter, and a roll of Copper Tape. I built up the RF cam in stages. As it rotates as you focus the lens, i could pick focus zones to file, polish, and tape. end result -after 3 hours of trial and error- 1.15m to infinity perfectly in focus, wide-open.

Wide-Open at F2, closest focus is 1.15m

14973481039_38e509b71c_o. 1937 CZJ 8.5cm F2 Sonnar

14973635987_243a95bb81_o. 1937 CZJ 8.5cm F2 Sonnar

14973636447_2f6825302b_o. 1937 CZJ 8.5cm F2 Sonnar

This is a Mushroom... In a Graveyard...

14973480149_d1a33f9426_o. 1937 CZJ 8.5cm F2 Sonnar

• Like Like x 5
  2. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  3. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    It is an incredible lens and I've gotten a lot of great photo with it. I also had a lot of issue with flares and am not really good at controlling it. Nice work Brian, you really know how to make that lens shine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    That lens really needed a hood.

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    This is the hood originally made for a J-9, i found the regular vented hoods just did not provide enough coverage. I also made a light baffle out of black foam sheets in the hood. It really improved things over a standard hood.

7. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    I have such a monster hood somewhere in my photo closet. It is heavy. I think, it is a hood that was meant for MF lens.

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    With telephoto lenses- the big hoods do not block the framelines. It made a huge difference with the 85/2. I need to try the Nikkor hood with the 13.5cm F4 Zeiss, also flares badly with too small of a hood.

9. Mr_Flibble

Mr_Flibble Leica Place Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Amazing stuff.

I've shot some fomapan last weekend with one of my Contax II cameras with the 85mm f/2 Sonnar on it. But I need a proper viewfinder for it. The parallax correction of the KMZ Turret finder is rubbish on a Contax. :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I wonder if the KMZ Turret was intended for the Contax III and Kiev with meter. I suspect there had to be two versions of the Finder? Never thought about it before. Maybe a different scale could be setup by putting the camera on a tripod and looking through the lens. Use a clear negative strip at the film gate, set the distance with the RF, then make a new scale for the viewfinder?

11. Mr_Flibble

Mr_Flibble Leica Place Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    The one I have is likely for a Fed or a Zorki, as the bulge of the VF is on the left side of the accessory show, facing away from the shutter speed dial. The ones for Contax and Kiev are orientated to the right. And the're parallax adjustment is presumably different. In my results the close-up (1m to 2m) subjects were always too low in the photo.

Yes, I'd need to do a ground glass check to verify this.

12. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
  13. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Some from Gunston Hall.

21403060551_3ef13c6384_b. Gunston Hall by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

At F4

===============

21207786149_9d9558066b_b. Gunston Hall by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

at F2

I'm going to open the lens up and replace the black paint around the middle triplet, the original paint has separated and this is a source of flare. It "pops" in with string backlight. We'll see what effect that has.

• Like Like x 2
  14. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    The spring is a pain to put back in place.

15. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I only need to open the optics module, I've done these before.

16. uhoh7

uhoh7 Leica Place Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Always wanted one of these :)

How close is it to the Nikkor 8.5 f/2?

I've thought: near identical.

17. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The pre-war Carl Zeiss Jena 8.5cm F2 is a 7-element in 3 group design, looks to be under-corrected for spherical aberration- smoother OOF.

The Nikkor-PC 8.5cm f2 is 5 elements in 3 groups, the Nikon engineers both simplified for construction, sharper, hard-coated, but- slightly over-corrected. A bit harsher Bokeh. Never bothered me, one of the all-time great lenses. The Zeiss Opton 85/2 moved to a 5 element in 3 group, but from what I can find: Nikon was out before the Opton lens. The J-9 remains 7 elements in 3 groups.

18. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Fall colors already? I'd better get off my duff and get out there ...

19. uhoh7

uhoh7 Leica Place Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Great and interesting info here. I did not realize Zeiss had also changed designs. If only I could figure out a way to make the J-9 work on an M9. Or maybe I should just get a SLR one and use it on my Sony.