35mm f/2.5 Summarit-M

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by asiafish, Feb 25, 2014.

1. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Very nice, particularly the last one. I'm still looking for a 35mm and have been looking at the Summarit and the Zeiss Biogon.

3. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Great contrast and composition.

The first shot- "the kind of nightmare that every image compression algorithm has late at night".

4. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    The TIFF file looks MUCH better than the JPEG.

5. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Every time I find some extra money in my pocket and think about getting a "better" 35 I shoot with the Summarit and change my mind. The only downside is speed, and compared to a Summicron its just not enough speed to matter.

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    When optimizing lenses, I could look at the file size of a JPEG and know if it was close.

7. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    How does that work? Is there a target size for MM files? I most often use Silver Efex for JPEG compression at 240 bits. From what my eyes tell me my lenses are all focusing accurately on my camera. Is there something other than focus that is typically optimized like centering?

Other than my Sonnar, the rest of my lenses are all new and modern (four Leica, one Zeiss), I would imagine that neither of those companies let too many slip through the production line with alignment or centering issues.

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    For a set target: the file will be larger based on more detail in the photo. So- choose a good target, best focus will produce a bigger file. This works for focus tests. For example: a flat fence slat. Better the focus, more detail, larger file. I used to write my own image compression algorithms, long before Photoshop and JPEG were out.

• Like Like x 2
  9. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Good to know.

10. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    The last one really shows off the Summarit's bokeh. As a 35mm lens at f/2.5 there isn't much blur, but what is there is exceptionally smooth.

11. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    It's a sweet lens. I recently picked up a Summilux ASPH (for the speed) but am keeping my Summarit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Speed is the ONLY reason to want something "better".

• Like Like x 1
  13. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 2
  14. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Terrific shots! The lust for the Monochrom grows stronger by the minute...

15. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    The Summarit (all four actually) are particularly good matches for the Monochrom. Classical rendering, smooth bokeh and modern sharpness and flare resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  16. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Just arrived today at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri for 2 weeks military training. I was at this same base 29-years-ago for Basic Combat Training and stayed in the old WWII barracks.

They still have one company area preserved and restored, but they were nowhere near as nice when I stayed in them.

Leica M9 with 35mm f/2.5 Summarit-M at f/8 and ISO 160, minimal post.

13898496837_d373927d48_h. L1001813.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

14085101585_8c17082153_h. L1001814.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  17. funkydog

funkydog Leica Place Rookie

May 6, 2014
    I hear there's some barrel distortion - easily corrected in an M9 or on the PC - although I wonder how the lens performs for film shooters who don't have a digital workflow.
    This could be a sleeper cult lens but it'll probably be a hit only long after Leica has discontinued it. There currently are many other alternatives in the same price range or lower (e.g. Biogon, CV SKopar, Hexanon M and L, old LTM lenses)

18. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Distortion is minimal, even on my M5 (no correction, obviously).

19. funkydog

funkydog Leica Place Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Uncorrected barrel distortion is probably going to be the norm for lens design since it's so much easier to correct in software than doing it optically.

20. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Still very easy to correct in Lightroom, which has profiles for this lens, but the distortion is so minor that I honestly haven't bothered.