50mm (5cm) lenses in Monochrome

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Brian, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Leica 5cm F1.5 Summarit-M, wide-open on the M3. UV Filter, Kodak 400 "chromogenic" film, C-41 process B&W.

31019133432_e7d510ed52_o. nikki_portrait1_small by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Checkm8

Checkm8 Leica Place Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
    Brian,

I took the plunge today! Proud owner of a Leica APO-Summicron-M 1:2/50mm ASPH (though it was hard parting with my beloved 35mm Summicron). Unbelievably sharp! Thank you and everybody else for your input/recommendations. The adjustment begins.

First test shot with the 50 Cron
    f4, bulb @ 5 seconds
    (Really wanted to try my cable release for the first time as well)

Apo 'Cron.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Congratulations on the APO- and I will be interested to see more shots posted, and you thoughts on making the jump from the 35 to 50 focal length. You certainly started at the Top!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Checkm8

Apr 22, 2017
    Cron-APO 50mm

RockPile1. Cleat1. Alcatraz. GGB2. Mine. SF Harbor. Ship.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    You certainly have adapted to the 50mm way of seeing very quickly! These look great. The 50 APO has a beautiful rendering- I can see where particular attention was paid to the out-of-focus rendering.

And- makes me miss my M Monochrom even more! Pulled out several lenses last night, all with Yellow and Orange filters on them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Checkm8

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks Brian!

There's certainly greater separation of subject from background with the 50. And it worked out nicely that the APO is compatible with my ND filter from the 35 Cron. Still learning. As you stated, it is a bit different.

10. DiamondLace

DiamondLace Leica Place Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Michigan
    All the pictures in this thread were great! I am still learning the art of a good black and white shot but you seemed to have nailed it quite well in my book!

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Thankyou- to me, the best part of the M Monochrom is being able to shoot black and white just like a film camera. I had a box of contrast filters, typically use Yellow, Orange, and Red just as instructed from the 1930s Leica Handbooks. Everything old is new again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DiamondLace

DiamondLace Leica Place Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Michigan
    I love playing around with options on cameras. It is amazing what you can do these days. Monochrom is one of my faves! :)

• Agree Agree x 1