7Artisans 35mm f/2 news - its a Sonnar

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by Hamish Gill, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Leica Place Rookie

Jul 18, 2017
    Hi all,

Thought a few readers here (I'm looking at you @Brian@Brian) might be interested to know that the forthcoming 7Artisans 35mm f/2 is a 7/5 Sonnar design.

I've been playing with a prototype and have just published a post with a few more details here

Hope you guys don't mind the brazen promotion of my website - just figured there's not so much point in me repeating myself here when all the details can be found via the link...

Cheers,

Hamish

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I can't remember another Sonnar formula 35mm focal length lens for a full-frame camera. The Biogon is an asymmetric design, "similar" approach, but not a Sonnar. It was limited to F2.8.

I'll be looking forward to some comparisons. Do you have a good J-12 in LTM?

I'd love to borrow this lens for some comparison shots- Else, I will wait until it comes out and just buy one. I have the LTM 35/1.7 Ultron, Nikkor 3.5cm F2.5, J-12 that's really a CZJ Biogon optics module in an LTM mount...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  3. James3900

James3900 Leica Place Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    James
    I have the Zeiss Biogon 35mm which I love but I have been waiting for this lens with a lot of interest. Very good view and I think for me it comes down to price, if its cheap enough I will give it a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hamish Gill

Jul 18, 2017
    I know what it’s going to retail for, but can I ask what you would be happy to pay?

5. Hamish Gill

Jul 18, 2017
    I’ve asked if they mind me sending it on, else I’ll send you a production one to “try before you buy” from stock when I get it Brian - I owe you a favour or two ;)

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Lomography - Expert Advice: Brian Sweeney's First Impressions of the New Jupiter 3+

I must be a Sonnar Expert... They say so!

Send them a link of my J-3+ test. I bought one of the first ones in the US- company asked me to do an "Interview" and write-up. I guess they liked the article, after it was published- they sent me a second lens for free, just got a UPS tracking number and it showed up on my door. I use the second one on the M Monochrom.

7. Hamish Gill

Jul 18, 2017
    Haha, I think your an expert, and I'm told I am one too, therefore I must know what I am talking about! ;)

I have sent them that link - cross your fingers! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hamish Gill

Jul 18, 2017
    Hey @Brian@Brian, good news! ;)

In other news, I posted a list a little like this on RFF yesterday- Stephen banned my and deleted all of my posts since 2008...
    so do let me know if I ever step over the line here...

• Wow Wow x 2
  9. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    That's okay. I may be the only (ex) Moderator on RFF that banned himself.

10. AlbertTRAL

AlbertTRAL Leica Place Regular

I think that, probably, the closest Sonnar may be one that I really love, the Rollei Sonnar 40/2.8 HFT... although it is really closer to a Miyazaki Sonnetar optical scheme, 5 elements in 4 groups...

AKv0vyI.

11. Hamish Gill

Jul 18, 2017
    The 35mm in the Nikon l35 is supposed to be a Sonnar - I have a formula diagram for the 7Artisans lens, but they’ve said they don’t want me to share it yet... I will as soon as I can

12. AlbertTRAL

AlbertTRAL Leica Place Regular

Indeed it is. I was just thinking in LTM and M mounts... as seen in Marco Cavina page of lenses for Compact 35mm:
    GWfhp1J.
    L2tllJO.
    jzEMj3T.

As pointed in the datasheet, the optical formula of the 35S Sonnar is the same as the 35RF one.

13. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    How could I forget that one! Definitely Sonnars, the filler element dropped from the front triplet. The filler was added to reduce transmission loss.

I might have a broken one in the basement- will have to look.

14. James3900

James3900 Leica Place Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    James
    I can see the Sony version going for around £140 UK pounds and you say this will be more expensive so I am hoping it will not be above £200 UK.

Sorry for the slow reply but i have been travelling :)

15. M. Valdemar

M. Valdemar Leica Place Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    New York City
    Interesting times and interesting products from China.

A whole new generation of enthusiasts.

(I have probably made enough money to buy several of these lenses by picking up Nikon L35's at flea markets for a couple of bucks and reselling them on eBay. Ditto for Yashica P&S cameras with Zeiss Tessar lenses.)

16. M. Valdemar

M. Valdemar Leica Place Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    New York City
    I have been banned myself....multiple times under multiple personas.....on RFF.

Just curious, what did they think was so terrible about you reporting on a new lens??

17. SParis

SParis Leica Place Rookie

Sep 5, 2017
    Beverly Hills, Michigan
    Scott Paris
    Well, you didn't ask me, but I'll answer: I'd think it should be a bit less the the 50mm f1.1, and more than the Sony version, so, $200 to $250? (US dollars) At that price, I'd buy one, sights unseen.
    A hundred dollars more, $300 to $350, and I'd wait until there were several reviews out. But that's still attractive.