Apple Track Pad

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
I bought an Apple Track Pad when I was in London, (at the Apple Store - well I had to as I felt sorry for the guys as they must get so much stuff nicked!!)

It is similar to the one on the MacBookPro and sits alongside the iMac keyboard

I use it in conjunction with the Mouse, (i.e. I still use the Mouse maybe 15% of the time)

Any others using it - what do you think?

How interesting. I'm afraid all I have is my MacBook Pro, Bill. I have been using a Macbook of some sort for so long that I can't stand "mice" anymore. This sounds like a cool option for an iMac. I wish you'd told me you felt sorry for the Apple folks because I would have asked you to buy my daughter a new laptop while you were there as her old one is on its last legs.;)

I saw one of those in an Apple related shop recently and was intrigued, mostly just because my "magic mouse" eats batteries faster than a real mouse eats cheese. I'd be interested in how the battery life is on it. I love the magic mouse's function though - its essentially a mouse and a trackpad combined into one device - you can do just about anything intuitively and easily with it. But I seem to have to change the batteries every few weeks, at most.

-Ray

Do not visit too much and look at the Apple Air - it is very very very tempting - and it is very fast - at my "retired old age" it is easy to establish memory loss and buy all the stuff that I would never have bought 10 years ago.

(my daughter and boyfriend were with us - and guess what? she mentioned to him that she would like one for Xmas - he looked at me and then when I had him to one side I said "well at least you could use it" so think of it as a 50/50 cost

(the guys at the store did admit to significant stock losses - he said you would not believe what they try to seal and how they do it - "even if you screw the stuff down" - "we had one guy who tried to walk out with the "counter panel" on which the ipods were screwed to")

Ray - one thing - it is a lot quicker to scroll with the track pad - and a lot quicker to tap, i.e. click

I find the mouse better for drag and drop or click and highlight a number of items - if those are the correct terms

I got the track pad the other day and I'm using it almost exclusively now. I still have the mouse nearby because I suspect that when I'm manipulating photos in editing software, the mouse might still feel like the better tool. That said, the track pad got so intuitive so fast for everything else that I wouldn't be surprised if the mouse goes all the way into hiding soon enough. I just haven't really had the need to mess with any photos since I got it so hard to say. But the track pad is a great little gizmo. With the various navigation shortcuts it gives you it makes using the Mac feel almost like using the ipad or iphone except for the obvious lack of a touch screen. But if I want to enlarge or shrink some portion of the screen for better viewing, I use the same two finger "pinch / spread" technique you use on the touch screen devices. Pretty slick little deal!

-Ray

I have a Magic Mouse and the Apple wireless keyboard. The Magic mouse seems so natural after a few weeks of use. Went Christmas shopping with my wife on Saturday in Bournemouth, while she was in one shop I crossed the road into Solutions Inc ( an Apple reseller) they let me have a play with the trackpad and I was impressed with how intuitive it was. By this time I was " Missing presumed Lost " by my wife who came into the shop and said " I guessed you would be in here " The upshot of all this is that I had to turn my back whilst my wife bought my Christmas present - a trackpad which is now sitting under the tree :)
I did ask the question as to why Apple have not made a combined unit, the keyboard and trackpad sit so well side by side ( Thinks, I could make up an ally clip to fasten them together )

Devjon, thanks for your story. My husband is not technical at all when it comes to computers or cameras...he's a carpenter. I wish I could bring him into the Apple store in the hopes that he'd feel the spirit of Christmas come upon him.;)

Stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum when you have a chance, Devjon, so we can give you the official secret handshake of welcome.:D

Back