90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit (Thin)

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by asiafish, Nov 27, 2014.

1. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 6
  2. brusby

brusby Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  3. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Smooth bokeh and nice smile.

• Like Like x 1
  4. brusby

Mar 1, 2014
    Oops, I edited the photo to reduce contrast just a tad and reposted to flickr. It seems the link broke here. I was able to re-link in my original post but not in your reply. Sorry. But thanks for the nice comments.

I really like this lens, especially for portraits -- sharp but not analytical. And I love the super small size and light weight.

5. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Beautiful Portrait, lovely Lady.

The TE is a great lens. I need to pick up another some day. Mine went into the M Monochrom...

6. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    Lovely portrait.

What are the differences between the different Leica 90/2.8 models? I have an Elmarit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    The modern Elmarit with the slide-out hood is the best, but also the heaviest. I like the Thin TE because it is really small and light. Looks like a 50 Cron with an erection.

• Like Like x 1
  8. brusby

Mar 1, 2014
    Haha, thanks a lot, now I'm gonna need latex gloves to handle it.

But seriously, this lens is a true tele design and so it's shorter than the non-tele version of the same vintage. It's small and light enough to put in a shirt pocket.

I haven't compared mine to the other vintage Elmarit versions so I can't give you any first hand info. I do have a 1961 3 element Elmar f4 which is sharper wide open and really tiny too, but for portraits I prefer the tele-Elmarit for its one stop aperture advantage, better bokeh and slightly softer and more dreamy skin rendering.

The new Elmarit is incredibly sharp and a really great lens but it's quite a bit bit bigger and heavier than this diminutive classic.

One caveat though, beware that some of the older Canadian versions had a problem with coating degradation on the rear element. I'm pretty sure all the later issues and particularly the German versions were problem free.

9. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    My Elmarit is an old version. It is very sharp, though.

4628818-md.

U3565I1174095435.SEQ.0.

• Like Like x 3
  10. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    The modern 90/2.5 (2.4) Summarit is about the same size as the last Elmarit, but lighter, weighing a bit more than the Tele Elmarit. The Summarit is probably the best performing travel weight 90mm Leica lens ever.