Any softening of hearts toward the Vario X "Paula?"

Discussion in 'Leica M Camera Forum' started by carlb, Jun 18, 2013.

1. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Anyone getting over their initial dissapointment/annoyance toward the Vario X?

For what I like to shoot (landscapes, scenery, architecture), it has an allure that I can't quite brush-off. Except for a deficit in bokeh opportunities, the camera appears to have excellent image quality, and an excellent and simple "real-photographer" interface.

Much like if I were to get an X2, but paid $800 extra for a Leica zoom lens (albeit slow, for sure), which is marvelously sharp throughout.

Hmmmm ...

I guess I'm not "dissapointed," this might be the real Leica that I could actually afford with a bit of stretch. Yes, there's the M8 I could get and a Voigtlander lens for about the same price, but the Vario X comes with the Leica lens and is new.

I dunno, maybe that's my next camera. I have an Oly VF2 I can pop on top. It's available now.

Hmmmm ...

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    It's not for me, slow fixed-zoom lens, kind of like a Nikkorex-Zoom of 50+years ago. BUT- I like the Zoom-Nikkor 43~86 F3.5 on a Nikon F...

3. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I rather like it, and it seems the lens, while slow, is really quite excellent.

Not getting one, though. Don´t really need anything more compact than my M9P and am saving my pennies in case an M(240) happens to become available...:rolleyes:

4. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    I like it too - always did - but not enough to buy. Looking forward to reading some impressions and seeing samples from others!

5. flash

flash Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I definitely started out as a hater, mostly because I really REALLY want the interchangeable lens version of this camera. Anything else had to be a failure. But now, although I don't see it as a camera for me, if the lens is truely excellent, edge to edge, it does have a place. Take a grand off the price and I might even be tempted.

I'l still need to be convinced it's worth the extra over a Fuji XE-1 and "kit" lens though.

Gordon

6. serhan

serhan Leica Place Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    NYC
    It looks there is definitely warming:)

My very 1st thoughts on the Leica X Vario in my Hand | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
    His sample shots:
    Five Quick Samples from the Leica X Vario | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

A review compares it to Fuji:
    The SOUNDIMAGEPLUS blog: FUJI X-E1 and LEICA X VARIO Comparisons - 1. ISO OOC Jpg. tests.
    The SOUNDIMAGEPLUS blog: FUJI X-E1 and LEICA X VARIO Comparisons - 4. Conclusion.

7. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    I've been pretty positive on the X Vario concept since day 1 of the leaked specs, but I find myself slightly queasy after reading the above quoted statements about "best" this and that.

8. CaptZoom

CaptZoom Leica Place Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Since I kept my mind open during the marketing campaign, I was not disappointed with the release of the Vario X (and I gave no credence to the leak until Leica made it official). I think things will get quite interesting when (if ever) Leica releases an interchangeable lens camera that accepts M lenses but is not a rangefinder camera. I am giving some thought to purchasing the VX. My thoughts and reasons follow (in no particular order):
    1) Having a consistent interface between camera bodies (M9 is the other camera). The relocation of the aperture dial will require some getting used to.
    2) With one exception, the VX will be used with augmented light.
    3) The exception to #2 is the beach. Every summer I do a series on beach life and I like to get in the water for some of the photos. Taking a $3k camera in the water will be much better than a $8-10k set up. Yup, the M9 goes in the water with me. I usually use a 35mm lens for this, and previously I was considering the X100s for this. But this year, I've started with a 75mm lens instead.
    4) My possible purchase is predicated on how well the rest of the year goes (financially). If it continues as it has thus far, I can justify the expense.
    5) I use fast glass under special circumstances, and am usually between f/5.6 and f/8. The lens speed is not an issue. For the times I need fast glass, M9 will be used.
    6). Though 1-5 were in no particular order, they all rank higher than this one: image quality. From m4/3 and up, any camera body coupled with the right set of lenses and proper use of light will yield excellent results. And that's before bringing post processing into the equation. That being said, from what I've so far (limited as it may be) the IQ from the VX is fandabydozytastic! It's hard not to get excited with that type of output.

As usual, these are my reasons and they may not (probably won't) work for others.

9. CaptZoom

CaptZoom Leica Place Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    There's one other thing that may deter or at least defer me purchasing the XV: the M240 being readily available around years end. I don't think this is likely. I was going to skip the M240 and get the M11 (or whatever it'll be called), however, many excellent and knowledgable photographers are claiming unprecedented accuracy of the RF on the M240. And seeing as the RF is an essential part of workflow, the upgrade is just about mandatory.

10. flash

Mar 30, 2013
    Had a play with one today. It's absolutely stunning. And it's beautifully made. The lens looks like it's exceptional and I see it as a spectacular travelers camera. I liked it much more than I thought I would.

Had a play with a type 240 as well. Yummmy.

gordon

11. xdayv

xdayv Leica Place Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    So which one did you like better? :confused:

12. Biro

Biro New to Leica Place

Mar 30, 2013
  13. NJH

NJH Leica Place Regular

Apr 29, 2013
    Pretty much describes German Leica. I still have my X100 but it just feels like a cheap insubstantial toy in comparison to my M8. Many folks dream camera would have been a cross between those two hence the anger towards the X vario. I don't hate it but I just know its not the camera for me.

14. flash

Mar 30, 2013
    Both damn it.... :rolleyes:

Gordon

15. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

If someone asked me I'd suggest the X Vario is only for someone who wants the German-made or in-house Leica. If a customer weren't already aware of Leica and had a desire for a Leica, I don't know how anyone could sell them an X Vario.

It's more expensive than the X2, but seems to offer more camera for the money than an X2. It's several times cheaper than a M9 with lens, yet has a real Leica body (sans lens mount etc.) and a zoom lens, something that would cost a bundle on the M9. There are probably few people who could sell a M9 or even the M-E and lenses to cover the XV focal lengths to a new Leica customer on the basis of getting more for the price than they would get with the X Vario. If someone were to make a video of actors playing those roles, selling the ~$12k M-E or ~$14k M9 over the less than $3k X Vario, on the basis that the former was a better value for the price, that would make one heck of a sales video.

16. jporos

jporos Leica Place Rookie

Jul 29, 2013
    Mississippi
    I handled the X-Vario at the Leica Store in Miami and it felt substantial with a smooth zoom. I guess I am more interested in compacts now especially with my D-LUX 6 and the portability it affords me. The X2 however, really got my attention...