Anyone here fixed vertical alignment on an M9 before?

Discussion in 'Leica M Camera Forum' started by Amin, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    My new (to me) M9 rangefinder patch is a hair off in vertical alignment. Focus is still bang on, but it's a bit annoying to have the vertical alignment off because it makes it just a bit less crisp when things are aligned, and as a result I'm less sure of my focus. Has anyone done the adjustment themselves for this? I just got the camera and don't love the idea of sending it off for a service.

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Leica FAQ — Rangefinder adjustment

M9 vertical alignment is off.

I have NOT had to do that on any of the Digital RF's. If the camera is under warranty- send it in for the adjustment. From what I am reading, the adjustment screw is under the red dot, is possibly glued into position, and requires a special tool for adjustment. I've adjusted vertical and horizontal on many other cameras, the Leicas CL being the worst to do.

I knew about the M8 bought recently- did not know you went and bought an M9.

3. defektive

defektive Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Amin, I had to adjust the vertical alignment on my M8 when I owned that but I'm not sure if the M9 is the same process or not. I had to gently pivot the red dot back and forth to soften the glue, then remove it. I bought a tool off eBay for $50 and then adjusted the mechanism by trial an error. The dot is reapplied in the same way it was removed. I hope this helps.

4. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The M9 and M Monochrom have the same mechanism as the M8.

5. flash

flash Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I've done the rangefinder near and infinity adjustments on both my M9's but never the vertical. I had one adjusted while it was in repair for a new sensor. I guess I'm too stingy to buy the $50.00 tool. But the process seems simple enough with a drop of acetone to loosen the adjuster for a few minutes.

With all things Leica it just needs a little patience and a steady hand.

Gordon

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The Nikon Rangefinder mechanism uses a Set Screw to hold the vertical adjustment. No glue/acetone required. I am comfortable adjusting the Nikons, Canons, Barnack Leicas. I "cringe" at the idea of dropping acetone into a Digital camera.

7. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I guess Amin has really gotten the bug now. :thumbup:

8. usayit

usayit Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Congrats on the M9.... it didn't take long lol.

9. defektive

defektive Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013

$50 didn't seem too bad compared to the (up to) $500 I was quoted by our Leica reseller to adjust it.