Anyone tried the Jupiter-9 85/2

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by VINCETAN, Aug 22, 2013.

1. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Just wondering if anyone (Brian?) have used the Jupiter-9 85mm/2 Sonnar copy? Any sample pics? I am quite intrigue with that lens since it is actually affordable.

Thanks
    Vince

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I have one that works reasonably well on my M8. That is after moving the rear triplet in as far is physically possible an adjusting the shim. The problem: the J-9 is built to the Zeiss spec, and is way-off on the Leica. The focal length has to be reduced by ~0.7mm and you just can't move the rear triplet enough to get it there.

Best to get a Nikkor 8.5cm F2, which is made to the Leica spec. But.... I will post pictures...

3. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I have one that works reasonably well on my M8. That is after moving the rear triplet in as far is physically possible an adjusting the shim. The problem: the J-9 is built to the Zeiss spec, and is way-off on the Leica. The focal length has to be reduced by ~0.7mm and you just can't move the rear triplet enough to get it there.

Best to get a Nikkor 8.5cm F2, which is made to the Leica spec. But.... I will post pictures...

4. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    I have a current (at least until they discontinued) Sonnar ZM and even though I do not use it much, I love its IQ. Just wonder how it compares to the Jupiters. Here is one I took using that lens on a Lumix G1. P1050283.

5. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    those are amazing especially for a lens that is 1/10 of the price of the ZM

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I've always felt that the classic Sonnar formula Telephoto's of the 1950s were some of the best optics ever made. Pop Photo did a test of the 8.5cm F2 from 1950 against a 1990s 85/1.8 AF-Nikkor. "in the noise" difference. The 10.5cm F2.5 Nikkor is "even better". Since telephoto lenses are not as popular with RF users, prices are low.

Longer focal length Sonnar lenses do not suffer focus shift that you find in the 50mm lenses.

Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, wide-open on the M Monochrom.

[​IMG]

Deep Yellow filter. This lens goes for ~$400 in Leica Mount.

7. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    Man, you can be a very bad influence. I assume that you have an external viewer for the 105? I've been looking at getting another 85mm and was initially pretty much set on the Jupiter since they are cheap. Good thing that I visited this site. So Nikkor is the better way to go. They are not as cheap however. I love the Monochrome shot using the 105.

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I use the 90mm framelines to give almost 100% framing for the 10.5cm focal length.

10.5cm F2.5, wide-open and closest focus on the M9:

[​IMG]

I use the 75mm framelines for the 8.5cm lens. The M Monochrom, M9, and M8 all fix the field-of-view for framelines at Leica's minimum focus. They have a lot of margin when used a few feet further.

OR Leica secretly made them for the Old Nikkor Lenses... That's my theory, and the math supports it.

9. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    Awesome to know that regarding their frameline. Now the hunt begins for the 105mm

10. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
  11. Paxnobiscum

Paxnobiscum Leica Place Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Kopasker, Iceland
    Petur Thorsteinsson
    I have a "mint" 1962 Jupiter-9 in Kiev/Contax mount. I used it a little bit on M8, with the Amedeo adapter, and it performes very nicely. The focus is stiff though and uneven, but I assume it proves that it has, luckily, not been opened by an amateur. I had to return the first copy to the seller, because it had been assembled wrongly. I don't have any shots with the lens on-line, but I will try to find some on my hard disk. I'm told that the J-9 is notoriously difficult to CLA, so I will just warm it a little bit before use:)

The Nikkor 10.5cm 2.5 LTM is definitely on my short list - I have both the Sonnar and Gaussian variants of 105mm 2.5 and like them both a lot. I can't see your photos, Brian, but i just know it is an excellent lens.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The forum software was "upgraded", and some of the syntax changed for posting links to photo's. Amin is working on it, but when I get some time- I will edit some of my threads to put the new style links in place.

My J-9- is very nice, but modified for the Leica.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Paxnobiscum

Paxnobiscum Leica Place Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Kopasker, Iceland
    Petur Thorsteinsson
    That's really interesting, even though I know that modifying a Kiev/Contax J-9 to the Leica mount is not the right job for a faint-hearted, five-thumbs guys like me! Did you use the mount from a J-9 LTM lens? Did you document the process? Please excuse my curiosity.

14. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1