B&W digital printing

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Peter Klein, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Peter Klein

Peter Klein Leica Place Regular

Dec 31, 2014
    Seattle
    Peter Klein
    What do you folks use to make B&W prints?

My 12 year-old Epson R1800 has died. I have been using Paul Roark's BO (Black Only) method of printing with it. This was very simple and economical: the same black ink (MIS Eboni) in three cartridges, and a 50-50 mix of clear base and distilled water in the others. It made very nice matte prints with Quadtone RIP.

Times have changed. Paul's methods with newer printers employ multiple dilutions of black ink in several cartridges, and it involves more mixing and messing than I care to do. I'm looking at Canon printers (which supposedly don't clog like Epson printers). The Canon Pixma Pro 10 has been recommended to me as a good alternative, using the supplied OEM inks. Which, of course, cost substantially more than what I've been doing.

Since I don't print a huge amount, I'm also wondering whether it would be more economical to just send things I want printed out to a decent lab. Costco (gasp) does very good color work if you prepare your file properly--I don't know how good their B&W is. And their are other labs that cost more.

Thoughts, advice, cautions all welcome.

--Peter

2. JonVdG

JonVdG Leica Place Regular

Apr 29, 2016
    Boulder, Colorado
    Jon
    I highly recommend the Epson SureColor P600. It produces outstanding black and white prints, in my experience. In fact, I even prefer them slightly to the LightJet prints coming from my local pro lab, and I have never been able to get any Canon printer to match it. I live in dry Colorado and if I don't use it for several months, I have to run it through a cleaning cycle three or four times. I believe this process uses some ink, but nothing significant and it's worth it to me. I've never had it clog when I make at least one print every few weeks. If you need to print even larger, take a look at the P800. No printer is perfect of course, but I feel like I'm really getting my money out of this one (especially after a generous rebate from Epson).

Good luck,
    Jon

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Peter Klein

Peter Klein Leica Place Regular

Dec 31, 2014
    Seattle
    Peter Klein
    Thanks, Jon!

4. Burkey

Burkey Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I've had some great experiences with the Canon Pixma Pro100. 'Makes wonderful prints up to 13" X 19". Good luck.
    . . . David