B&W HDR - Aircraft portraits - Taken @ Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Kookie B., May 14, 2014.

1. Kookie B.

Kookie B. Leica Place Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    Hi folks,

I'm still working on my B&W HDR technique for aircraft portraiture and I thought I'd provide two examples of my latest results.

The attached photos are of a T-33 jet trainer and a Pan Am Clipper that are on display at the Udvar-Hazy Museum. They are magnificent aircraft with highly polished aluminum skin. With both, the exterior is so reflective that is like to trying to photograph the surface of a mirror.

Technical: Leica X1, three exposures, handheld, autobracketed @ +1/-0-/-1. Digital processing in PhotoMatix and PS.

I'd appreciate your comments. HDR haters, feel free to flame away!

Regards,

Ed B.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Great use of bracketed exposure, marvelous images Ed. :)

3. NJH

NJH Leica Place Regular

Apr 29, 2013
    I like them a lot but feel they would work better if there was slightly more separation from the surroundings either in terms of light levels or sharpness, this would make the aircraft really pop.

4. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Great shot. I love that place. Actually that is also how I came to discover Leicaplace.com . While there on our family vacation, I saw a guy holding a Monochrome. Back then, I frequented Getdpi so I posted a note there asking if anyone was in UHASM that day. Someone pointed me to this site saying they think it might be Brian. And true enough, it was Brian. I even got a cameo of him in one of my pic :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I was testing the 5cm F1.5 Nikkor-SC when Vince was there- noticed his Nikon Neck strap.

I've seen these planes almost since the place opened, the Shooting Star (T33, trainer version of the P80, later F80).

The shots have a "Solarized" look to them. Next time I am there with the M Monochrom, will shoot from the same angle.

6. Kookie B.

Dec 26, 2013
    All,

Here's another one from the series. Perhaps because of its painted skin -- a vibrant orange -- this HDR of the Grumman Gulfhawk has a very different, softer, feel than do the images created of the planes with the highly reflective skin.

The technical information is the same as of the first two.

I appreciate the comments.

Regards,

Ed

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    This one looks like a drawing.

8. NJH

NJH Leica Place Regular

Apr 29, 2013
    It does and I really dig that outcome, nice one Kookie.

9. Kookie B.

Dec 26, 2013
    Hi folks,

First, continued thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated.

For purposes of comparison -- and even though in the B&W group -- I thought it might be informative to share the original color, OOC, images (resized only). I've also included a version of the Gulfhawk in which I've done my best impression how it might look if taken with an M Monochrom.

Regards,

Ed B.

Attached Files:

10. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Excellent. Like 'em all. :)

11. Kookie B.

Dec 26, 2013
    Thanks, Guys,

I appreciate your taking the time to look at these images and provide feedback.

See you next time . . .

Ed B.

12. Mr_Flibble

Mr_Flibble Leica Place Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    I'm not a fan of HDR normally, but in B/W it does give these old birds a certain glamour :)

13. Kookie B.

Dec 26, 2013
    Rick,

> in B/W it does give these old birds a certain glamour

I hadn't thought of it from that perspective, but I'd be hard-pressed to argue with you.

Ed