B & W Portrait

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Christilou, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    13010925934_94c7c1f362_b.
    Untitled by christilou1, on Flickr

Again, the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 II. I think I got this focus better but probably only because she did an exaggerated pose for me :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 6
  2. tmldds

tmldds Leica Place Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Texas
    Spot-on. Beautiful subject and light.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Very nice!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    That is quite a look!

The focus is spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  6. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    You can start a glamour shots endeavor, Christine. Superb!

• Like Like x 1
  7. russelljtdyer

russelljtdyer Leica Place Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Milan, Italy
    Russell J.T. Dyer
    The Process of Making a Photo

I like photos of people thinking: I find them more interesting. It's particularly difficult, though, to take such photos of babies and small children. They're so active, or they're very aware of what you're doing and won't let you catch them pondering. They generally either watch you or they hide from you and your camera.

I took this photograph a few weeks ago of my girlfriend's daughter. I used a Zeiss Ikon camera and Zeiss Biogon f/2 35mm lens and Kodak Portra 160 film. In this scene, just a few days before the girl's third birthday, I had just asked her how old she will be. She has her fingers in position to indicate three years old. She's looking at her mother, though, who was saying something to me.

russelljtdyer-20140112-leicaplace-federica-1.

What's interesting to me about being creative is the process of creating. I like when I'm able to see to a potential shot--that makes me feel clever. I like even more when I can extract a better photo from an otherwise bad one. Below is the original shot. When I went through the photos from the roll on my computer, I saw all of the clutter around the girl in this photo. I saw also that she had an interesting pose. In Lightroom, I cropped in around her--in a 1:1 ratio like classic Hasselblad cameras use--and had the makings of a better photo. I then reduced the exposure of the background to eliminate those distractions, so as to highlight the girl more. Next I tried working the colors, but had problems managing a balance--there was too much yellow overall and too much rosiness in her cheeks. Then it occurred to me that monochrome would work better. That made it all simple and I think it allows one to focus on the girl and not be distracted by colors. I then switched to a soft sepia instead of black for the final major touch.

russelljtdyer-20140112-leicaplace-federica-2.

I'm pleased with the results. I had it printed (20 by 20 cm) on good paper, as well as matted and framed. We sent it to the girl's grandmother in Russia as a present for International Woman's Day. She likes it very much.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  8. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

When I clicked on the thread I saw the text and just the top of the person's head. Then I scrolled down and Wow!! Either you're the world-class photographer, or that little one is headed for stardom. Or both - awesome portrait.

9. russelljtdyer

russelljtdyer Leica Place Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Milan, Italy
    Russell J.T. Dyer
    Thank you, Dale. You're too kind. I praise the girl mostly. In fact, when the mother complimented me on the photo a few weeks ago, I praised her daughter and gave her credit for the tremendous accomplishment of producing by herself such a sweet girl with a tranquil face for me to photograph. All I did was point the camera a bunch of times at the two of them until I got a keeper.

-Russell