Buddhas of Wat Sisaket with the trusty Leica X1

Discussion in 'Leica X Forum' started by Lawrence A., Feb 1, 2016.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Leica Place Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    New Mexico, U.S.A.
    Larry
    I don't know how much traction this thread will get, but I couldn't find another suitable place for these pictures of Buddha statues taken at Wat Sisaket in Vientiane, Laos. The Wat was Chao Anouvong's personal Wat, which makes it all the more surprising that it is almost the only Buddhist temple to survive the Siamese invasion and sack of Vientiane after Anouvong's bid to free himself from the suzerainty of Siam.

Of the 2000 Buddha statues housed here, some have been restored from that invasion, apparently, and others have found shelter after having suffered the ravages of time. Walking the edge of the courtyard where the Buddhas are housed it is hard not to be deeply moved.

Ten photos follow, all taken with the trusty Leica X1, using the accessory optical VF. I find it an absolute joy to shoot and am attached to it in a way that the Buddha would have advised against.

L2291774-X2.

L2291733-X2.

L2291748-X2.

L2291751-X2.

L2291759-X2.

L2291768-X2.

L2291741-X2.

L2291757-X2.

L2291765-X2.

L2291742_f-X2.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lawrence A.

Jan 17, 2014
    New Mexico, U.S.A.
    Larry
    Thanks for the feature, Amin! This place and its Buddha images was just incredibly moving. It makes me wish I were serious about giving up my attachments to follow a Buddhist regime of letting go, but there are already a couple of cameras on my wish list - The new Pen-F, and the Leica X type 113. A friend of mine has (unkindly I think:biggrin:) already pointed out that I'll have to await another incarnation to reach enlightenment. I think seeing these statues would move anyone along the way, however.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lawrence A.

Jan 17, 2014
    New Mexico, U.S.A.
    Larry
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Kookie B.

Kookie B. Leica Place Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    From one X1 user to another -- nice job!

Ed B.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. David H Dennis

David H Dennis Leica Place Rookie

Jun 7, 2016
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    David H Dennis
    I find it an absolute joy to shoot and am attached to it in a way that the Buddha would have advised against.

Just wanted to tell you this made me smile. Really nice photos, too :).

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Lawrence A.

Jan 17, 2014
    New Mexico, U.S.A.
    Larry
    Thanks Dennis, and welcome.

• Like Like x 1