Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Sonnar, 1934, adapted to Leica Thread Mount

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    This lens started off as a collapsible lens for the Contax RF. Converted to Leica mount using a Jupiter-8 focus mount. This is an uncoated lens, lower contrast. This is the first time on the M Monochrom. This lens was MADE for Black and White.

[​IMG]

All wide-open at F2.

[​IMG]

I've used one of these before.

[​IMG]

This lens was old when this airplane was new.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    P51B.

[​IMG]

Some things in the Museum were actually older than the lens used to take the pictures.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. chalkdust

chalkdust Leica Place Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    Great shots, Brian. These images have a tonal range that is very pleasing to me. They are obviously very well composed. Thank you for sharing them.

4. defektive

defektive Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Brian, just out of interest why did you convert to ltm instead of m-mount?

5. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The Jupiter-8 and Jupiter-3 are Thread Mount. The threads for the optics modules are the same as the Contax mount lenses, and the shims are the same. SO- this is an easy conversion. The aperture ring of the J-8 takes the place of the one on the Contax mount lens.

http://aperturepriority.co.nz/50mm-jupiter-3-f1-5-information/

The conversion for the J-8 is similar to the J-3/Contax Sonnar F1.5, documented above.

6. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    Great portrait of your daughter, and the museum shots also very nice. The low contrast working very well here.

7. jnswickard

jnswickard Leica Place Rookie

Sep 11, 2013
    Dana Point California
    Jack Swickard
    Brian I have some FSU lenses, 28 Orion 15, 35 Jupiter 12, 50 Industar 61 LD, 50 Jupiter 8, 50 Jupiter 3, 85 Jupiter 9, 135 Jupiter 11. All are LTM and all of these have been cla'd but I would like to have at least some shimmed to fit my Leica IIIf and IIIc. I also have a "CZJ Sonnar 1.5 which I am sure is a J3 masquerading as a true sonar.
    I also have 2 Contax Sonnars (50mm 2.0, 50mm 1.5) that I would like to have adapted to LTM.
    Please advise me as to where I might be able to have such service performed.
    I thank you very much.

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    That's quite a collection of FSU lenses!

I am a hobbyist, started taking apart J-3's to find out why they had such a horrible reputation. Found that Dante Stella was correct, the lenses were made to a different standard. I also knew enough from Nikon/Contax incompatibility to recognize that setting the shim could correct most of the difference, and enough of 1st year Physics to know changing spacing between the front/rear group would change the focal length.

50mm Jupiter 3 f/1.5 Information

I sent Jason Howe instructions for the Jupiter-3; the J-8 is almost the same- except you need to use the aperture ring of the J-8 in the conversion.

I'll still take on Sonnar conversions and J-3 CLA's for Leicaplace members. Jack- look for a PM.

9. ruchky

ruchky New to Leica Place

Sep 13, 2013
    belgium
    romain baeyens
    dear brian

I own a sonnar f2 5cm contax mount, can you convert it so it will fix my leica LTM camera's
    and can you do a CLA of this lens

I live in Belgium

thanks
    ruchky

10. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    Thank you Brian for offering such conversions.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks- I've done about 10 of the F2 Sonnars and 31 of the F1.5 Sonnars. It's easier to find F1.5 lenses with clean glass, I suspect the slower lens uses a softer glass- like the Summar.

12. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    The lower contrast with high resolution make a great lens.

• Like Like x 1
  13. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Especially on the M Monochrom. I don't have to underexpose to preserve the highlights when shooting the Sonnar like I do with modern glass, and the tones and rendering really give a magical look.

You can keep "Leica Glow", these Sonnars have their own magic pixie dust.

14. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    There is an 80-year-old woman in my Rotary who will have me photograph her granddaughter, wearing her (the 80-year-old's) 1915 bathing suit with 1915 hairstyle. My 1937 Sonnar is a bit too modern, but I'm still confident we can make a fantastic 1915 portrait.

15. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    The Sonnar is great for B&W and also for color. For example, with Fuji Reala 100, it gives pastel colors to the images. Awesome.

16. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    I'm sure, but I don't have anything that shoots color and mounts M glass at present.

17. Kookie B.

Kookie B. Leica Place Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    Brian,

I have a Voigtlander Perkeo with a 75/3.5 Heliar (uncoated) that is unusable for needing a bellows replacement. Have any ideas how the lens could be salvaged? Like the Sonnar in this thread it might make for a very interesting lens for B&W.

> I'll still take on Sonnar conversions and J-3 CLA's for Leicaplace members.

I have a '57 J-3 that seems to have the usual back focus issue and I'd be interested in having you take a look at it. Possible?

Thanks in advance,

Ed B.

18. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Ed- sent you a PM, did you get it? check notifications in the upper right corner of the page

19. Kookie B.

Kookie B. Leica Place Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    Thanks, Brian. I completely missed the notification. PM now responded. Ed

20. mcsqared

mcsqared New to Leica Place

Mar 25, 2014
    Brian,
    Thanks for the tip. I removed the retaining screw, and then what?
    Turn the aperture ear?
    please advice.
    MC