1. All transactions (buy, sell, and trade) in the Buy & Sell forum are strictly at your own risk. Leica Place and its owner are not affiliated with anyone buying, selling, or trading on the board. We are not liable for any misrepresentation, fraud or spam posted here. The remainder of our Buy & Sell forum rules are in the Site Terms of Service, which you can read here: https://www.leicaplace.com/help/terms

COMPLETED Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Sonnar T, converted to Leica mount | Location: USA | Ships: Worldwide

Discussion in 'Completed Listings' started by Brian, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

0   0   0

Apr 3, 2013
    Buy & Sell Listing - Want to Sell
    Selling
    Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Sonnar T, converted to Leica mount

Prices
    $200

Ships to
    Worldwide

Description
    FS: This is a wartime (~1941) Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Sonnar T converted to Leica Thread mount using the focus mount of a late Jupiter-8. I set the focus using the M Monochrom, and have tested it across range. This lens is usable at F2 across range, as shown in these images. When setting a Zeiss standard lens to work on a Leica rangefinder, a compromise must be made. For this F2 lens, at 1M the focus is very slightly behind the RF, the exact point is about 1/3rd way into the DOF rather than 1/2. This gives better agreement at infinity. I flood-cleaned the aperture blades, cleaned internal surfaces, and lubed the helical. Aperture ring stays in place, the rear retaining ring puts reasonable friction on it. Typically, Sonnar aperture rings turn too freely once the 70 year old grease is cleaned out of them.

This is one of the first coated lenses made, the coating on each of the outer surfaces is worn and uneven. Looking through the lens, you will see wear spots on the rear surface, and "blotching" on the front surface. In practice, they still do their jobs: I used a hood for these example Photos, but took a lot of back-lit shots.

Price is $200 including Shipment within the US, $210 including First-Class international, and $225 for insured International Priority mail. $10 discount for domestic personal check/money order or Paypal Gift.

Payment accepted
    • Regular PayPal (fee included in price)
    • Personal check
    Shipping method
    -

Shipping charge
    -

Handling time
    -

References
    -

Additional comments
    • Open to trade offers
    Acknowledgement
    • I have read and agree to the Buy and Sell rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Focus test, closest focus and distance, at F2. Full image and 100% crops.

- - - Updated - - -

More example shots with this lens, at F2 and with orange filter on the m Monochrom. Midrange and flare test.

- - - Updated - - -

Pine Needles- "Flare and reflection stress test", at F2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

0   0   0

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    The sonnar 50/2 is an under rated lens. I love mine.

3. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

0   0   0

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    PM sent, I want it. Will be a perfect complement to my 1937 uncoated f/1.5 and modern Summicron.

By the way, what is the filter size?

4. Brian

0   0   0

Apr 3, 2013
    40.5mm Filter size- same as the F1.5 Sonnar.

Sold.

5. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

0   0   0

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Cool, my first wartime lens and third Brian Sweeney Special, this is going to be fun.

6. Brian

0   0   0

Apr 3, 2013
    The wartime Sonnars are amazing. Zeiss "Tweeked" the optics, I believe used a new glass, around 1939. The edge-to-edge performance is improved. My 5cm f2 Sonnar T is from the same batch of 1000 lenses as this one. It was the second Sonnar that I converted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.