"Could be Adapted", Wollensak 2.04" (51mm) F1.5 Raptar

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    This lens is rare, and has attained a cult following. It is in the "if you keep something long enough" category, going from a camera show/ camera shop oddity to one that is going through the roof on Ebay. Mirrorless cameras. The lens does not have a focus mount, originally used in the scientific/technical market for a specialty camera, CRT, and O-Scope. Mine does not have the "CRT" or "Oscillo" on the name ring. The image circle is larger than 35mm, I believe it was used for "super-slides" 127?

Some "hackers" have converted this lens to RF coupled M-Mount placing it in an SLR 50mm lens helical and putting an M bayonet on it. A Cam was fixed on the rear of the lens, which is very close to the Leica standard. Some Chinese shops have been converting them to mirrorless mounts.

These are made by holding the lens in front of the EPM1. I can see why the lens is popular.

14871044327_f2bcd2cd08_o. Raptar_Bud_F15 by

15054544801_0153ffcda5_o. raptar_flower_F15 by

15057587475_16a6bbbacc_o. raptar_anthar_f15 by

Build quality- industrial. I think the barrel is stainless steel. It makes a Leica and Nikon lens seem light.

One like mine... but not as in nice condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wollensak-51mm-f-1-5-Special-Raptar-Lens/201152731596

I've had mine for over 20 years, the diameter of the rear prevents it from fitting into any Leica mount RF lens. I'm thinking this lens is too nice for a Hack... probably will put this one up for sale.

2. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. brusby

brusby Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 1, 2014
    First I've heard of it. Looks like a nice, efficient industrial design. 'Amazing how some things achieve collector status. Do you know what made this lens so popular?

4. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    It's sharp on a full-frame mirrorless. I suspect it was made for 828 or something bigger than 35mm. It's an American made optic that is as good as any German or Japanese lens that I've used.

I'm going to list this one here before putting on Ebay, in case someone wants to get one to have converted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Price range?

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The last two completed auctions on Ebay were over $1000 for one and over $900 for one not as nice. These were for unconverted lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Oh, I thought it was already converted. I'd love to shoot with it, but don't have the time or the skills for a project.

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I've thought about hacking it- but this one is SO nice would be worth someones time/money to have a real machinist do it. he rear fixture is just too big to fit into a Leica mount lens. Bigger than the Summarit and Canon 50/1.2.

9. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Too bad. I'm not even a bad machinist, let alone a real one.

10. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    This is very interesting. I thought Wollensak makes lenses only for LF cameras.

11. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    They made lenses for Leica, various 35mm cameras, and many movie cameras- in addition to Large format. My personal opinion- this lens was made for a TLR that never got built, one to compete with the Contaflex TLR with it's 5cm F1.5 Sonnar.