Digilux 3...Still in love with it.

Discussion in 'Leica D-LUX, V-LUX, and Digilux' started by Bruce Gillham, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Bruce Gillham

Bruce Gillham New to Leica Place

Jeff Williams 1. I took the D3 out today for a bit of fun. I have a fair bit of gear , however, I just love using my D3. This is just a quick shot and nothing to serious. Still, a nice shot never the less.

• Like Like x 2
  2. rbelyell

rbelyell Leica Place Veteran

May 25, 2014
    yes it is a nice shot. what lens did you use?

i recently picked up the panny version, the L1, with leica 14-50/2.8 as an AF complement to my rd1. i am enjoying the analogue controls and the hybrid ccd sensor, especially for skin tones. i actually started a 'Dead Camera Thread' on the Photographers Lounge sister site to showcase 'obselete' cameras like the D3. i enjoy the nuance of the b&w, but the popping colors really surprised me. i hope you dont mind if i post a couple.

p1394943091-5.

p1397861081-5.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bruce Gillham

G`day, thanks for the reply. The lens I used is the stock lens..... Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f2.8-3.5

I did have the L1 and D2and loved them. They were just a bit limited in the ISO rating and noise therein.
    However the D3 is, for me, a complete camera. The ISO is very comparable to other cameras. The camera can also shoot up to 600% focal length with that standard lens...incredible.

I might have loved those previous camera`s, but I adore the D3. I actually prefer it to my M9. (the M9 IS A BETTER camera though) Its just the feel of the D3 I guess.

4. Bruce Gillham

Another one from the D3. This one was shot quickly hence the look on her face and just missed my focal point.

Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f2.8-3.5

1/50th. f.4. 200 ISO. sandra0079.

• Like Like x 3
  5. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    hey bruce

i had the D2 as well many years ago. loved the lens, hated the vf so much i got rid of it. the L1 i now have is not the same as the D2, but is the sister 4/3 interchangeable lens 7.5 mp to your D3. the shots i posted above were with that camera and the same kit lens youre using. i dont believe there is any iso or other differences between them except i bet the D3 is a little 'warmer' because thats the leica software TM.

6. Bruce Gillham

Yes, you are correct. I had the D2 in mind concerning the ISO.

Where I use my D3 the most is in BW's and when I pull out all the stops and really go for that perfect shot, I notice a significant difference, the D3 does give me an edge that Im looking for. (reffer to siste site)

Either way, I feel the L1, LC1, D2 and the D3 are extremely under rated.

Cheers.

7. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    oh yes, having used mine and seeing the results, i'd have to agree on them being underrated. i feel the same way about the epson rd1. most all the rf folk dismiss it, and many feel that somehow the m8 is an 'upgrade', but i wouldnt trade mine in. i could see the m9 as an upgrade because youre talking ff, which is its own animal, and 12 extra mps. but looking through that epson's 1:1 vf uncluttered with only one set of framelines, and knowing i dont have to worry about color or focus shift, i still dont know...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  8. Bruce Gillham

Good points Tony,
    I get what ya saying. Quite frankly I`m over FF, I just don`t have the call for it these days. I`m also over all the "bells and whistles" that all the new camera`s are coming out with. For me, I want a camera that can handle a good shot and I will do the rest and that`s it.

Its a little out of control, bring back the basics and concentrate on that.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rbelyell

May 25, 2014
    yup, that sums it up well.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1