Elmarit vs Summicron 28

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by xdayv, May 9, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Leica Place Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Hi guys, my new year's resolution was to self impose a one-lens policy for my RF which was the 50 summilux (I know it wouldn't last long!). But the new year seems to be far away now, it's mid-way through the year, I thought of considering my next RF lens. And I wanted to make some sense about the word "interchangeable" :confused:.

After serious contemplation, I pretty much boiled it down to 28mm. (Yeah I know I would need a 35 someday LOL!)

Which will you choose? The Elmarit being more compact at 2.8, but the Summicron 28 at F2 and same filter thread at 46mm makes a good choice too. I have tried the Summicron while at Leica SG (and probably that was to my detriment!).

2. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I chose the elmarit and here's why; price difference, wanted the f22 vs f16 (for landscape w/tripod), already had the 50 lux for low light, plan on picking up the 35 cron in the future and the price difference.

The size difference wasn't even a factor, for me. The 35 cron is the same e39 as the 28 elmarit so either way I'd need both the e46 and e39. IMO the 28 elmarit and the 50 lux compliment each other very well.

3. BruPri

BruPri Leica Place Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    I have an M9 with a pre ASPH 50 lux, tomorrow I am picking up a 28 Elmarit as my second lens. It seems to be the perfect compliment to the 50.

4. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I have the V3 Elmarit-M 28/2.8. It is sharp.

New Year's resolutions - you kept it, did not go shopping for lenses on New Year's day!

5. CaptZoom

CaptZoom Leica Place Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    I have the latest version of the Elmarit. I really enjoy the compact size. It renders colors very nicely and deeply (on the M9), they almost look a bit too saturated...maybe vibrant is a better word to use. My only "complaint" is that at times the lens is too sharp! For person work, it's my least used lens (but that's because I prefer slightly longer lenses). On the rare occasions that I take two lenses with me, the Elmarit is almost always one of the choices. I almost never take more than two.

6. BruPri

BruPri Leica Place Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Process of elimination. I earlier stated that I was picking up an Elmarit 28 today, which is a fabulous piece. I need to correct that statement. I was GOING to get the 28 to go with my pre-ASPH 50lux, had looked at the Sony RX1 which has a 35, compared shots from yesterday and decided to go with a one lens setup so it was the 35cron ASPH that won out in the end. I saw very little difference in IQ between the two, just felt I wanted to bridge the gap a bit more between my old 50 and the 28.

7. agfa100

agfa100 New to Leica Place

May 11, 2013
    No. Virginia, USA
    Been their done that, when I started with Leica I went with a summilux and then the 28, after a few months I got a used v1 summicron. After that the 28 stayed in the bag, the 35 just felt better, I was always happy with the results from the 28 Elmarit just didn't use it often that was with film. Today I have a GXR and use a 21, 35, and a number of 50's (Fed 50, Hexar 50, Summilux 50, Jupiter 8 ) plus I picked up a Fed 100 mm f6.3 just for fun, and it's not a bad little lens. I have more fun with the older Russian stuff.
    wbill

8. xdayv

Mar 31, 2013
    Dave
    Update: still undecided, might go for either one before Christmas this year. Will update this thread if ever...

9. thompsonkirk

thompsonkirk New to Leica Place

May 24, 2013
    Northern CA
    The current Elmarit is a contrasty little lens, definitely not what Sean Reid calls a "sunny day lens." The Summicron 'draws' more gently but is pretty big. If you'd prefer f2.8 I'd suggest Zeiss instead of Leica: it renders much as the Elmarit does, but is IMO approximately equal value for a more reasonable price.

Full story: For years I had a V1 Elmarit with extra element, the one for which people pay quite a bit extra, but it resolved poorly. The later version that Brian recommended would surely be better. When I first bought an M8 I tried the aspherical Elmarit, didn't like its contrast, and found the Summicron more to my liking. For a while I kept an M8 with a Zeiss as a backup camera, and I sometimes regret selling that lens. I've also kept a CV 28mm 1.9, the old model, as a high-quality 'beater.' If you want to break your one-lens vow and try a 28 just to see if the focal length suits you, one like this would be an economical experiment.

PS: If you wear glasses, the 28 framelines are hard to see; you might want an external finder.

10. xdayv

Mar 31, 2013
    Dave
    I'm still tiptoeing between the cron and elmarit.... I had also a mild encounter of deviating to the 21 and 24, but I'm still leaning heavily towards the utilitarian aspect of the 28mm, which means I can use it more than the wider angles.

11. kingsfan

kingsfan Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Highland Park, CA
  12. xdayv

Mar 31, 2013
    Dave
    Q, thanks for these pics, the 28mm FL double duties as a wide-angle and street photography sans the distortion on people. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if ever. Cheers!

13. kingsfan

kingsfan Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Highland Park, CA
    screw it, i'm gonna list my lens

found a 90mm elmarit on craigslist i want!

14. xdayv

Mar 31, 2013
    Dave
    Thanks guys for all the input and insights.

Somehow, somewhere along the way, I'm ending up with the cron. Oooopppss....

15. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Congrats Dave, on the cron. I was thinking of upgrading myself to the cron but now I'm looking at wider and faster.

16. xdayv

Mar 31, 2013
    Dave
    Mijo, what wider and faster are you looking into?

17. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    The summilux 21mm. I'd need to sell my elmarit 28 and cron 35, and still need to save up but I'm considering it nonetheless.

18. xdayv

Mar 31, 2013
    Dave
    wow the summilux 21! what will your kit look like after selling the 28 and 35?

19. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    My kit would be the summilux 50 and the 21, if I sold my 35 and 28 for the 21.

20. xdayv

Mar 31, 2013
    Dave
    Looking forward to your new acquisition, share some photos by then.