Showcase Epson R-D1

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Mount Camera Sample Image Showcase' started by usayit, Apr 6, 2013.

1. usayit

usayit Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Its rare to see these days... So I am starting an image archive for this perfect blend of Voigtlander and Epson... classic and modern. In many ways, this camera was superior to my Leica M8.
    1:1 viewfinder.
    Better control layout (everything settable via dials).
    Better visual indicators (pseudo-analog dials w/ all the info visible at a glance... no need to even look at the LCD).

Taken with a Summarit 75mm

8624615974_b57c057960_b.

Taken with Noctilux 50mm f/1

6266417635_a45cdfa2b4_b.

This was the camera of my choice in documenting our family through the early years of my first born son...... definitely miss it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. usayit

usayit Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Epson R-D1 w/ 12mm Heliar, New York, New York

8632783567_c4cf8a02e7_b.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr_Flibble

Mr_Flibble Leica Place Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    I've bought mine in 2009 specifically to help photograph a wedding of two friends.
    Still use and love it to bits. Ergonically sound, everything basic camera setting you need is just where it needs to be (okay weird stuff like 'film' presets, need a bit of menu browsing).

LH110608.

(click to see larger image)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    No matter what you use- somehow it comes out with colors like original Kodachrome!

I'm a hopeless collector -and user- of gear. Yesterday I bought a very used Tektronix 2465B O-Scope and spent hours cleaning it up.

I need to pick up a nice RD-1.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Oh, sure it's only 6.1megapixels....which makes it practically ancient in Digital Camera years....

[​IMG]

FV120909.

FV120709.

SV111211.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    "welcome to the world of Digital"- a camera that is almost 10 years old is just about ready for the Smithsonian. The Udvar Hazy has a Kodak DCS-460 on display.

My Kodak camera is older than that one, 1.6Megapixels and is the first Infrared DCS camera sold. as in the first unit. It's the same age as the O-Scope that I bought for home. $150. The one that I bought new 20 years ago for the Lab was $14,000.

The Epson RD-1 has fared well.

7. mwizenbe

mwizenbe Leica Place Rookie

Jul 4, 2013
    Since I am back to Leica and now digital, I was thinking of buying one of those out of eBay - any specific things I should be concerned about?

many thanks,

8. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    I never had the problem, but the LCD screen is one of the more sensitive parts. Mainly the flatcable that goes through the joint I'm told.

Battery life is quite short. With the LCD screen folded up you get maybe 200 RAW quality photos out of a freshly charged 1600mAh battery. Old and lower capacity batteries will not last as long. I always carry 2 spares.
    I'd stay away from 1300mAh or lower capacity batteries, they can't handle the peak load required when writing the image to the card. With these batteries my camera goes into standby-mode after taking the photo and then takes a few seconds to wake up again for the next shot. Really annoying.

I have read that people find the rangefinder to come out of alignment quite easily. I never had this problem myself (Or I just haven't dropped the R-D1 hard enough). Adjustment is fairly easy. Just take off the hot-shoe cover to get to the three screws.

• Like Like x 3
  9. mwizenbe

Jul 4, 2013
    I finally had the opportunity to shoot with the Epson RD-1s. And it is in excellent condition as far as I can tell. So, I paired it with the Minolta M-Rokkor 28mm and went for some street photography down in Kensington High Street. It was a great experience, people actually smiled at me when they saw the camera, which is not very usual around here - it really looks like you shooting film...

So I am posting my first two pictures, only applied Silver Pro or Raw Sharpener. Hopefully not too bad :) No candid photography, so not many pictures left on this first attempt to share...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Quite a bit of noise there. I assume you shot these at 1600 ISO (or very slow shutterspeeds)?
    Great colors though. Typical of the R-D1(s/x) .

• Like Like x 1
  11. mwizenbe

Jul 4, 2013
    You are right, not much light to work with at this time of the year over here...

12. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Same here in the Netherlands, though last weekend was surprisingly sunny ;)

The latest set I shot with my R-D1 photo, two weeks ago at the Living History Weekend:
    http://www.historyinmotion.nl/m/photos/browse/album/LPLG-Weekend-2013

*edit, link changed to different image depository. Also includes some images taken with a Kodak No.2 Folding Pocket Brownie.

13. mwizenbe

Jul 4, 2013
    Really nice, thanks for sharing!

14. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Have you tried Lightroom 4 or later with the RD-1? The Noise reduction is very good, I use the M8 at ISO 2500 with good results. It would be interesting to see what it does with the RD-1.

15. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Couple from the photo shoot at the Villers-la-Ville Abbey in Belgium yesterday.

AV131026.

AV131029.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Those look really good, what lens did you use?

17. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    The Voigtländer 35mm f/1.7 Ultron, which is practically welded to my R-D1.
    Of course it works like a 50mm with the crop factor. But hey, that's my favorite anyway.

18. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I love that lens! I had one, sold it to an RFF forum member deployed overseas - at a very good price.... Then, bought one from a photographer in Australia. Paid a bit more for it...

19. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    I need to open mine up to clear out some condensation marks (after the camera and lens spent about 3 hours in the rain last year). Haven't really looked at how to go about this with this lens

As long as there isn't any strong back light it's fine though
    AV131048.

20. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I had to take the 50/1.5 Nokton apart: the front doublet came loose, the retaining ring was not screwed in properly. The front name ring came off with a rubber band wrapped around a lens hood. After that, front group unscrews. Rear group just unscrews from the back. I'll look at my Ultron, bet it is similar.