How do you tote your compact?

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Now we all have a camera and some of us even take them out occasionally - well excepting those purist gear-heads who spend all their time on the web finding the next best thing for the shelf and to shoot brick-walls and collection of bric-a-brac - just to test their mettle :laugh1: ....actually this is true of a few folks I know on another brand-specific forum.

So what do you carry your chosen weapon in while out in the wild? :polling:

I have a Domke FX5B - well two of them actually - for my dSLR kit and the Sigma - lovely workmanship. Though it's a little big for the DP2 alone, it will be perfect when I find it's wider, DP1 friend.:cloud-9-039: I am always on the lookout for a discreet bag for a single compact, but have had no luck so far. Most bags are either too small or too big and/or scream "I HAVE A CAMERA IN HERE IF YOU HAVE THE GUTS AND THE NEED FOR EASY MONEY!". I figure a single Sigma is the same size as an m4/3 with pancake or other fixed lens serious compact, so would be keen to know how my learned and experienced friends are accessorising.

Thanks Will....and a very nice pocket I'm sure.

Do you ever take anything more hefty than the GRD out into the field? If not, I am jealous! If so, how big a pocket do you go? Love the idea that your fashion might be dictated by the camera you chose to go out with for the day. MC Hammer pants might come back in for those with a Canon G then I suppose?

:D Will, I'm laughing!

I have several pockets and if given the opportunity and my camera will fit - that is where I'd prefer to carry it. Right now, I only have the LX5 and I use the Leica version ready case. I love its simplicity. Sometimes I just use the inner coat pocket of my winter parka or rain coat...but summer is coming. When my X100 comes I will have to rethink things, at least in the warmer months. I might like the Fuji's case...but dare not order it yet. I really hate to carry anything much at all... That said, if I am out of town or someplace where I need my wallet and sunglasses, etc., etc. then I'd use the bag I bought from Courierware, until I find something else I like better. For me the smaller the better and it has to be lightweight and something I can wear cross body. I can't wear anything hanging on my shoulder...old rotator cuff problem.;)

My favorite bag is the new Bare Bones Bag Traveler. Holds two+ compact cameras plus related gear plus pens and journals (and even iPhone and Kindle when desired). Very functional in design and low key in appearance. I'm also about to buy a handmade Rickshaw bag, made right across the bridge in SF.

For my DSLR I prefer Think Tank Photo Retrospective bags, and they just came out with one specific to compact cameras. These things are rock solid and very functional.

I'm not a fan of camera bag-looking camera bags.

I have a Domke F5xb as well. My Lumix G2, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm Lumix and 9-18 Oly lenses reside there. This is the kit that sees the most action by far.

When I am traveling on business and want to bring a compact camera just in case, I bring my Oly E-P1 with the 20mm Lumix in a Tamrac 5693. It fits like a glove.

My DSLR kit resides in a Tenba Messenger Large. I also have a Domke F803 Camera Satchel that I use if I am only bringing the 50D and two zooms.

Regards,

Antonio

I have a Domke F5xb as well. My Lumix G2, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm Lumix and 9-18 Oly lenses reside there. This is the kit that sees the most action by far.
Great packs aren't they? I reckon the bag would last many many years before you'd see the faintest fray. I was tempted by the FX5A, but it's just not that much smaller....and they aren't the cheapest bag out there.

When I am traveling on business and want to bring a compact camera just in case, I bring my Oly E-P1 with the 20mm Lumix in a Tamrac 5693. It fits like a glove.
Mate if this is the Tamrac you have it looks very interesting, very interesting indeed. Hmmm...I'll have a look-see if they're available in Australia. Thanks for the suggestion.

My DSLR kit resides in a Tenba Messenger Large. I also have a Domke F803 Camera Satchel that I use if I am only bringing the 50D and two zooms.
I've heard great things about Tenba, but they are pretty rare here. There is a shop I know in Sydney that imports these and ThinkTanks....but like Domke they don't come cheap.

Refreshing that there was not a Lowepro amongst them Antonio....I had one for a while and I'm really not quite sure what all the hype is about or why they are so prolific.

Mate if this is the Tamrac you have it looks very interesting, very interesting indeed. Hmmm...I'll have a look-see if they're available in Australia. Thanks for the suggestion.

That´s the case indeed, except mine is blue. :) The E-P1 with the 14-42 Oly fits exactly right, and with the 20mm Lumix there is just a little bit of wiggle room. Nice and compact.

Cheers,

Antonio

Panny GF1 and a couple lenses travel in Tamrac sling bag (Velocity 6x).

Panny LX3 in Tamrac belt bag (5691). Canon G9 and G10 in their own Tamrac 5692's.

Canon S90 in Olympus neoprene sport case on belt.

I'm partial to Tamrac because they're cheap and locally available. Other bags listed on this thread are surely nicer, but I've never had any problems with the Tamracs.

Back