Harbor Scenic Landscape with the Leica Q

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dalethorn, Aug 20, 2015.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

A harbor/landscape taken just before sunset, which had an unusual green component to the light on the rightmost building on the top windows, and on the top of the aircraft carrier in the background.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/60 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    Charleston_Harbor18_s.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Feb 18, 2015
    Beautiful!

• Like Like x 1
  3. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Agreed. Dale, is this processed from raw or an in-camera jpeg?

• Like Like x 1
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Just a JPEG. I shot a couple of bursts, picked the best one, cropped slightly from 6000x4000 to about 5600x~3000, then resized to 5120 wide. I get a very different rendition on different screens. My PC looks great at 100 percent, ditto my Retina iPad, but my Macbook 12-inch at 100 percent view looks kinda crunchy. I don't know why, but my camera is set to sRGB.

5. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Always a challenge. I don't know if this is the same as on the "Q," but I get a bit better effective resolution by working with the raw images from the M (or the M9) than 'from-camera' JPEGs.

Sometimes bugs me, because the JPEG can have a look to it that's tough to recreate in post. But I want that maximum available "real" resolution, too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Getting from camera to a full-screen JPEG, whether from RAW to JPEG or just JPEG, and whatever tweaking is needed to make it "just right" - that's easy enough, but rarely works for me the first time. I find that the image looks different on my PC, my Macbook Retina, my iPad Mini Retina, my iPhone 6-plus Retina, and my Website as viewed on any of these. And that's at one given time. At a different time of day, in different ambient lighting, or depending on what I've been looking at recently, I can have different impressions of the overall tone. And that's not just a thing about photography, it's something that occurs in all arts - visual, sound, etc.

So anyway, I give it a couple of days viewing in different places and times, before making it final.

• Like Like x 1