Interesting Article Comparing Top SLR 50s and Leica M Mount 50s at LensRentals.com

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Most impressive to me was how well the under $1000 Sigma Art and 35-year-old (non-APO) Summicron performed.

3. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    I was surprised to see the much better edge performance of the Summicron compared to the Planar ZM. How can the Summicron have identical center and edge sharpness at f/2? Has to be a mistake, no?

4. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    This test shows how good the 50/1.1 Nokton is- a real "Rodney Dangerfield" lens. It and the 35/1.2 Nokton are bargains.

5. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    The whole thing was proof that specs mean very little. Look how poorly the Sonnar did, and yet its the most interesting of the group.

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The Sonnar has a high degree of field curvature- so it's difficult to measure it's "real world" resolution using flat targets. This is the "plastic" look of the Sonnar.

7. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    Brian, based on the information Roger provided, the MTF50 data provided in the tables shouldn't be affected by field curvature. Only the MTF curves shown further down on the page would reflect field curvature.

• Like Like x 1
  8. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    I still love my Sonnars

9. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I missed that, makes sense. The older tests done with resolution charts would not do this.

To put in it perspective, at F1.5 the Sonnar resolves 840 lp/image height, 840/24, or 35lp/mm. A good match for the M9 and M8 with the Color array.