Interesting article on Kodak DCS PRO/14N

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by M. Valdemar, Dec 17, 2017.

1. M. Valdemar

M. Valdemar Leica Place Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    New York City
    Women and Dreams: Kodak DCS Pro 14n

I have 2 of these cameras and 2 Kodak SLR/N cameras.

I was fascinated by them for a while and bought a bunch of mint ones cheap. I was able to shoot full frame with my Nikkors long before Nikon came out with a full frame DSLR.

They have similar sensors to the Leica M9, and, with very careful technique, can produce magnificent images.

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    The Kodak DCS14 series used a CMOS sensor with analog outputs, made by Fillfactory. Many of the Fillfactory people went on to setup CMOSIS, Cypress bought Fillfactory. The 14MPixel full-frame CMOS sensor was sold for many years after the DCS-14 went out of production, you could order it and the development kit from DigiKey. I suspect a full-frame CCD would have been cost prohibitive. The DCS-460c was over $25K when introduced, had a 1.3x crop factor. The DCS760 was the last DSLR that they made with a Kodak CCD- also 1.3x Crop Factor. I downloaded the long Datasheet for the 14MPixel Fillfactory sensor, before it was taken out of production- if anyone wants it. I have a collection of datasheets, including the KAF-10500 and KAF-18500 used in the M8 and M9, respectively.

Interesting- the DCS14 series uses the same S8612 IR glass that suffers from the corrosion problem of the M9 and M Monochrom.

I was using Firewire with my Pentium III Tower and Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop to connecpt up with my Nikon D1x, bought a pair when they were first introduced. I have the very first IR DSLR sold my Kodak, made after calling them up and asking for it. I worked with Digital IR sensors throughout the 80s. I did a lot of the high-speed data acquisition systems for them, so high-speed transfer "was my specialty". I wrote a lot of assembly language code fine-tuned using an Oscilloscope to get every last clock cycle for image transfer and processing.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017