Is this lens element separation?

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by Amin, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    From what I can see, and is always preferable to inspect personally, what you see is just the anti-reflection black paint on the side of the element coming undone. Not a big deal. Element separation is noted by the presence of "Newton's Rings"- rainbow effect.

On the Canon 50/1.4, 50/1.2 Black, 50/1.2, 50/2.8: watch for etched glass behind the aperture ring. The lubricants reacted badly with the type of glass used. It looks like haze, but often has etched the glass or damaged the coating.

Honestly: I have the Canon 50/1.4 (perfect glass) and the Cosina/Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton. The latter was $400 used, EX+. It is much sharper. I keep the Canon 50/1.4 on a Canon 7, have used it on the M8 and M9- but I'm a lens fanatic and it represents one of the few classic 1-2-2-1 F1.4 lenses ever made. Most have 7 elements, the new glass used by Canon allowed them to use 6.

3. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    Thanks, Brian. I know the CV 50/1.5 well and have owned it twice. Just wanted to try something new, and the Canon has a look that appeals to me.

4. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Make sure you have right to return it. Most sellers do not know the difference between removable haze, coating damage, and etched glass.

What is the asking price of the lens?

5. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Make sure you have right to return it. Most sellers do not know the difference between removable haze, coating damage, and etched glass.

What is the asking price of the lens?

6. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    Most of them are selling for ~$400. This one I believe was listed as $400 Buy It Now with the option to make an offer below the asking price. There is one selling for much less in the GetDPI Buy & Sell, but there was a mention of cleaning marks, and I wanted to find a copy with clean glass.

7. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Canon 50/1.4 at F1.4 and F4, on the M8. Used an IR cut filter.

I'll start a Canon 50/1.4 image tread as well. These are test shots. It is center-sharp enough at F1.4 to match the sensor resolution, at F4- is past the resolution.

Attached Files:

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    100% crops. At F4- resolution exceeds the sensor, can get some moire.

Attached Files:

9. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    Looks great to me. I've spent a lot of time in the Flickr group for the Canon 50 1.4 LTM, and I'm convinced it's a winner.