I've Been Tinkering- what do you think?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I spent the better part of today putting together a lens from left-overs in the parts bin. Pushes "interchangeable lens" to a new meaning.

Bokeh shots close-up and wide-open, Trees in bloom around the neighborhood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Also wide-open, focus on the blossom to the top right,

[​IMG]

At F4:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    This one is made from 6 different lenses, pre-war Sonnar 5cm F1.5 optical fixture; Middle triplet from a coated Sonnar 5cm F1.5, rear triplet from a KMZ J-3, and front element from a 1960s ZOMZ. Focus mount made from parts of a KMZ mount and ZOMZ focus ring. Focus is good across range because the Zeiss optical fixture was some sort of special purpose lens, the front element was recessed deeper into the mount and was a 100mm optic. There was no middle triplet in the lens- was originally just the non-standard front element and standard rear triplet.

After dealing with Triple-Zero set screws and taps, I voted "Ahhh My Eyes"...

• Like Like x 1
  4. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Nice, bokeh reminds me of the 50 Sonnar-C ZM. Nice that you guys already have the flowers blooming.

• Like Like x 1
  5. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Nice results!

• Like Like x 1
  6. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    How does the non-standard element affect focus shift?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I love bokeh!

• Like Like x 1
  8. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Brian,

I like the look. I also find it fascinating that you know how to put together a lens from parts. I would not know where to start...

Cheers,

Antonio

9. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    Love the look. Not smooth per se, but I like it. Smooth is overrated!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The biggest shift in focus is going from F1.5 to F2.You can get an idea of how big the focus shift will be looking at the intensity distribution of the "Bokeh Balls". Imagine that the out of focus circle is the aperture, closing it down cuts out light from the edges. The nonuniform intensity is caused by spherical aberration, which is responsible for focus shift.

The front element that was in the Sonnar was not the original; produced an image that was distorted. Looked like it could be used to make a 1950s Monster Movie. The rear triplet was original, the 100mm FL front element was used in place of the Zeiss front element and middle triplet.

So- KMZ rear triplets along with their fixture can be used to repair an original Sonnar, the later ones have a different shape and will not go into the Zeiss fixture. The front element and middle triplet- appear to be interchangeable. The Zeiss optical Fixture used here is heavier alloy than the Russian lenses, and the mechanism for holding the front element flat and centered is better- recessed rim and namering is more complex than the Jupiter fixture.