Kaia'i with 24mm

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by chalkdust, Mar 30, 2014.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust Leica Place Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Beautiful, and Effective use of the Polarizing filter- how did you line it up?

And... There is a Plot on Leicaplace regarding showing Warm, Sunny, Beautiful places to us that are still getting SNOW!

3. chalkdust

chalkdust Leica Place Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    Brian, thanks for the comments.

I used the "Leica Universal Top (Linear) Polarizer Glass Filter - for M Lenses" a device I had not used much before. It is a hinged thing that lets you flip the filter up away from the lens 180 degrees where you can adjust the linear polarizer for the effect you want, then flip it back 180 degrees to be over the lens for the image capture. This was its "maiden voyage." I plan to use it MUCH more often now that I have seen the results.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xdayv

xdayv Leica Place Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    beautiful especially the first shot!

5. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I was out there about a month ago and recognize the locations of many of your pictures. I forgot to pack the Universal Polarizer for my trip through and I can really see the difference the polarizer makes in your images, I keep forgetting that polarizers do more than just reducing glare from non metalic surfaces. The sky and the clouds really pop in many of you posted images.

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I indexed a pair of Polarizers for use on the Leica, they are also handy for monochrome images as well.

7. xdayv

xdayv Leica Place Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I'm interested to know more about this. Never had tried any polarizer on my RF. :biggrin:

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I stacked a pair of Polarizers, aligned them so they "blacked out"- meaning they were oriented 90degrees to each other, then turned them until the imahe seen through the pair was "brightest", meaning lined-up. I marked the position for them being lined up. Put one on the camera, view the scene through the second one- turn until you are happy. Note the index, and turn the one on the camera until it is in the same position. Not as fast as the Leica filter, but it works. For scenic images, I'm not in a hurry anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  9. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    I have similar polarizer that I have never used so far.

10. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Nice, Chalkdust! I'm guessing the trip was as wonderful as these pictures.

I think the plot Brian is alluding to is some of us replacing such lovely images with those of the snow-chunks still stuck behind our car's wheel wells. ;)

Big snow storm tonight. But depending on the weather tomorrow, we may just get to snap a few more like the following:

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/11489481@N04/8675069441/in/set-72157631899776485/player/" width="1024" height="683" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Fingers crossed: Big snow, clear morning. :)

• Like Like x 1