Leica C Typ 112 based on Panasonic LF1

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dalethorn, Sep 9, 2013.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I was able to pre-order the new Leica C Typ 112 from Dale Photo today, which is going to be a fun little adventure (very little, size-wise, as you can put 2 of these into one shirt pocket). I did a compare some weeks ago and discovered that the D-Lux6 lens has much better integrity around the edges than the LF1 lens (the new C Typ 112 is Leica's version of the LF1). I was not able to compare the LX7 (same as D-Lux6) directly to the D-Lux6, so this will be the first instance where I can directly compare a Leica (C Typ 112) to the Panasonic version (LF1), to see if Leica improves on the lens spec or QC in any respect.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    We'll look forward to a review of the new camera. This one has been a sleeper- not a lot of information on it.

3. BBW

BBW Leica Place Regular

Apr 15, 2013
    Glad to see you guys are on the trail! I just got an email this morning about this camera. I look forward to hearing more, Dale. I hope we can forego the typical "it's just a Panasonic" stuff until we actually find out if it is or isn't.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Leica Place Regular

Apr 15, 2013
    As an aside, can one of you all tell me what this means
    which I found via Dale Photo and Digital? What is the photo archive service and is this something that Leica offers... I don't remember hearing about it when I had my X1, though that was a few years ago.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Photo archive? Sounds like the 'cloud'. I can't imagine if someone has an intense workflow going in LR that they could simultaneously archive that to the cloud. If I were shooting paid jobs and archiving each job in a folder on backup drives, I'd hate to have all that on someone's server where anything could go wrong. Normally photographers will use several small drives and rotate them regularly with off-site locations like a safety deposit box.

I'm interested to try one of these recently announced print services that (I think) Leica is promoting. Any other services might be useful too, but simply archiving data remotely for any reason other than emergency backup, I dunno.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Leica Place Regular

Apr 15, 2013
    Time will tell, I guess.

Looking forward to your reactions to these two cameras, Dale.

7. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    I have the LF1. Superb for a take anywhere, anytime camera. EVF is nothing to write home about, but it's there if the sun is blinding you or you need the extra "human-body-stabilization" for a slow-shutter shot.

Picture quality for near and mid-field is just superb. Far-field foliage takes a bit of coaxing to get the best, but that's true of even larger sensored cameras.

RAW shows quite a bit of lens correction going on in the jpegs. AOK in my book, as long as the jpegs are great - which they are. I suppose when lens corrections make their way into raw convertors, that will be more of an option than it is now.

Just broke the screen unfortunately, a drop of a few feet onto linoleum. (Still works, just the left 1/4 of the screen is fubared.) Strongly suggest getting a screen guard for this camera!

I do think the Leica version looks cooler than the LF1, but I didn't know about it then. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

The Leica 'C' is no D-Lux6 BTW - the D-Lux6 is that pro-looking camera with all the right dials and switches, while the LF1 (soon to be the 'C') looks and feels like any $100 digicam from several manufacturers. While I don't feel the LF1 offers fair value for $500 USD MSRP in spite of the primitive VF, I do think the Leica 'C' will patch up enough of Panasonic's cosmetic shortcomings to make its users feel pretty good about having it, never minding the image quality which is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

My informal 100 percent positive review of this very nifty little camera. Ordinarily the various reviews list pros and cons, but until other cameras start coming on line that compete with this camera on size, quality, and features, I won't have anything on which to base that level of critique.

I'll have a more formal written review in a few days. In case the video doesn't explain well, the C-112 was definitely not a disappointment - the finish is very nice, even with typical Leica expectations.

http://youtu.be/nFDA3M6UcD4

• Like Like x 1
  10. richezleica

richezleica New to Leica Place

Feb 8, 2014
    Just got my Leica C but was surprised that the Dlna function found on LF1 is missing!
    So the Lumix LF1 has this extra feature .:doh:

11. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Welcome aboard to Leica place,

I have to ask... What is a Dina function?

12. richezleica

richezleica New to Leica Place

Feb 8, 2014
    DLNA is a way to connect wirelessly to your TV or any Laptop.

13. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks- new acronym added...