Leica T Announced

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    As long ago promised by Leica and more recently widely rumored and leaked, Leica has announced their new Leica T system, an APS-C mirrorless interchangeable lens autofocus system that supports Leica M mount lenses by way of adapter.

The new Leica T camera is internally called "Typ 701" and handbuilt in Germany from a single block of aluminum.

13998992474_6621b146f9_o.

To learn more about the T system, the new lenses, electronic viewfinder, and other accessories, visit Leica's page: http://www.leica-camera.com/Photography/T-System/The-Leica-T-Story

DPR has a first impressions review here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/leica-t-typ701

My first thoughts:
    • Beautiful little camera.
    • Price is high ($1850 for the body) as expected.
    • Wouldn't be my choice to use a 1.5X crop non-rangefinder body for shooting M-mount lenses when I can get an M8 for much less money than the T plus optional EVF ($595).
    • $1750 is hard to swallow for an 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6mm lens.
    • $1950 for a 23mm f/2 (35mm equivalent) Summicron is much more up my alley, and I can't think of a better first lens for this system.
    • Where are the other lenses???

• Like Like x 6
  2. BBW

BBW Leica Place Regular

Apr 15, 2013
    according to The Luminous Landscape Beta report:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica_t_system_impressions_and_use.shtml

• Like Like x 1
  3. chalkdust

chalkdust Leica Place Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    I have an M8.2, my only M. Months ago, as I realized that a newer M is not likely within my budget, I was thinking that I would really like to see Leica make an up-to-date replacement for my M8.2, which will not last forever. It would be nice to have live view so I could nail focus on some of my focus-shift lenses. It would be nice to not have the IR color issues. I could live with non-full frame. In fact I currently live without full frame.

The T system meets many of my hopes. I am not saying that a T is an M. I understand the advantages and disadvantages of rangefinder focus and EVF focus. I have used both, and I can get good pictures with both. I like what I see in the T system.

• Like Like x 3
  4. serhan

serhan Leica Place Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    NYC
    From dpreview preview:
    [​IMG]

So 3 zooms vs 1 prime...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    But they made the right prime!

Sent from my VS980 4G using LeicaPlace mobile app

• Like Like x 5
  6. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew

Yes, they did.

7. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    It does look better to my eye in black. The silver seems an opportunity begging for an Aki-Asahi. ;)

8. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    The nice thing is the size of the body. I am sure the IQ is superb. Having AF lens is definitely a plus for my poor eyes. The price is not too inviting however. At $1750 + $600( EVF) for a APS-C sensor, I have a hard time giving up my Sony A7 or A7r for this body. I get to use good AF lens and I can also use M lenses with a Novoflex adapter. Just my humble opinion.

9. flash

flash Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I wonder if the lenses are made in the same place as the S series lenses. If they are they would be in another league. I mean, I love my 55mm SOny Ziess and my M mount lenses. But I've shot with a S2 and those lenses are the most perfect things I've ever shot with.

As someone who has left the house without either a battery or card I love how the camera makes it impossible to not be ready to go and I think being able to copy from the memory to the card is great. I'm ambivalent about the look. I don't hate it but would have preferred an Xvario with a lens mount.

I do think they should have dropped in the latest Sony 24MP sensor though. If they had I don't think I could have resisted. But for now I probably will.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  10. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    I wonder what this will do to X2 and X-Vario prices, and more importantly, when those prices will change.

11. Armanius

Armanius Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Texas
    Mutley
    I find it hard to spend almost $2000 for a slow zoom lens, even if it's optically perfect. The build of the camera looks pretty impressive though.

12. Kookie B.

Kookie B. Leica Place Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    I use a Sony NEX-5N with EVF for a mirrorless with LTM and M lenses. I'm guessing its sensor and that of the T are either identical, or kissing cousins. Other than the difference in cache and body construction -- yes the block of aluminum marketing is sexy -- the T's cost when considered dispassionately and at least somewhat objectively is impossible to reconcile in terms of features, capabilities, and value. The difference will be even greater if Leica doesn't incorporate focus-peaking into the software.

That's my $0.02. YMMV.

Ed B.

13. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    NEX5n was probably the best of the NEX cameras for using legacy RF lenses.

14. jloden

jloden Leica Place Rookie

Mar 28, 2014
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I am intrigued, Leica really did something unique with the T series... I even like the lenses they started with for the lineup.

What would hold me back mainly is I already own a Fuji X-T1. When you're looking at adapting Leica M lenses to APS-C it's hard to make a compelling argument for the T series over the Fuji, from what I've seen so far. Not to say I'd never buy one, but the X system native lens lineup is a little better fleshed out (and more affordable) and I really, really like built-in EVFs over add-on units - especially when they're Sony or Leica prices ;)

Still, having said that, the design looks interesting, the lenses are likely to be fantastic, and I'm sure the M lens interoperability will be top notch. If the usability is there (UI, battery life, focus speed) then this will be an interesting addition to the market.

15. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I think Leica did a much better job in how they marketed this new release compared to the Vario. I'm not an APS-C fan or any cropped sensor for that matter anymore.

Once I upgraded to a digital M with a FF sensor and OVF, I can't see myself ever shooting again with an LCD or EVF. I still have my Ricoh GXR and 28mm module with EVF. (I sold my M Module). Whenever I pick it up and look thru the EVF I get tunnel vision.

Having said all that I like what Leica has done with their new hardware design and software interface. I would surmise that to keep costs in line to make a profit at their forecast sales numbers required them to use an older sensor.

As as to lens costs. Again I would bet its a numbers game along due to the limited numbers they will sell. I'm sure the quality is there but as many have already commented does that justify the price? The 35mm equivalent f2.0 would suit my current photography preferences pretty well. We can always dream for a Lux version?

But the cropped sensor and third party fast wide angle lenses is a problem $$$$$. That's what I found shooting my GXR-M.

I think Leica will sell enough of these to support the product but again it's a specialty item that will be cool to have for some.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BBW

BBW Leica Place Regular

Apr 15, 2013
    Well, I know at least one member here has got one of these on order so I'll be looking forward to seeing the results. I'm intrigued and particularly interesting in the wider angle zoom that is coming out down the line.

17. Duane Pandorf

Mar 30, 2013
    IMO, today's sensor technology is so good that it now boils down to user interface and lens options. The user interface dictates ease of use or the desire to actually use the thing. And the lens options on what look you're able to create, i.e., DOF ability.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BBW

BBW Leica Place Regular

Apr 15, 2013
    Right, Duane - that sounds accurate to me. Different strokes/cameras for different folks. It's the results and enjoyment that count.

19. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I'm curious to see if adapting M-lenses to the T will have any advantages over say adapting M-lenses to another system (i.e. NEX, A7, X-T1 or mu4/3). Coded M- lenses on the T will have some correction applied automatically, which will save some PP time but if that's it then it's going to be hard to justify the cost of a T for the sole purpose of adapting M lenses. I'm hoping that the T will be able to handle the wide M lenses better than the A7, mainly b/c of the crop factor.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Duane Pandorf

Mar 30, 2013
    David Farkas in his review had no issues with the different Leica wide angle lenses he tried on the T. No smearing on the edges in fact one of the lenses he used did bttter than the kit zoom.

If you use LR there's a plugin (Lenstagger) I use to add my 35mm Summilux-M pre-ASPH lens EXIF data since my lens is not coded.

• Like Like x 1