Show "Memorial Pictures"

A collection of memorials to be found in Dartmouth, Devon

The following mixed collection of memorials can be found in Dartmouth, Devon. They were all photographed today with a Panasonic G1 fitted with 20mm, f/1.7 Panasonic lens

1020598.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The memorial to the Royal Naval Association with its illusion to Alfred Lord Tennysons poem "Crossing the Bar"

1020600.jpg

A memorial to the crews of the 485 ships that sailed from Dartmouth to join the greatest seaborne armada ever seen

1020601.jpg

A memorial to the Shipwrecked Mariners' Society using a second world war floating mine

1020602.jpg

A more peaceful memorial to the Dartmouth blacksmith, Thomas Newcomen, inventor of the first ever piston driven steam engine. It is composed of a beautiful copper plate engraving of that first engine

Barrie

Michael, I apologize for finding my way here so slowly!

Yours is a beautiful image of this memorial to the Enterprise's surgeon, Henry Mathias. I can't imagine how tough these men had to be to do what they did.

Superb lighting in this shot - it really brings out the beauty of this sculptural memorial and the drama that it represents.

Mount Batten, Plymouth, England

This memorial is on the site of a former military establishment overlooking Plymouth and Plymouth Sound, known variously since 1917 as RNAS Cattewater, RAF Cattewater and RAF Mount Batten.
In the early 1930's an Aircraftsman Shaw was based here, he's better known to the world as Lawrence of Arabia. It was an important seaplane base for many years and in the 1940's was mainly staffed by Australians.

1010550.jpg

Panasonic G1 with 14-45mm, f/3.5-5.6 zoom

Barrie

a contemporary approach to a monument
These are commemorative stones at the largest cemetery in Bremen showing the names of foreigners,
who came to death during WW II
Whenever I come to visit I take the image outside with me

IMGP2371.jpg

IMGP2385.jpg

IMGP2365.jpg

Taken with a Olympus OM-D E-M5 ii and a Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42 F3.5-5.6 II R

35644997476_59475f9edc_b.jpg
Hector MacDonald - Citizen Memorials
by Andrew Priest (Aushiker), on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking.

Statue and fountain to Boer War hero who committed suicide after a series of allegations about his moral conduct.

Hector Macdonald, a crofter`s son, began his military career as a private in the British army, and later became a Major General. Hector Macdonald fought in the Afghan war and both Boer wars.

Distinguished himself when he saved the British army from total destruction at the Battle of Omdurman.

Major General Sir Hector Macdonald KCB, DSO, ADC, LLD, or Black Isle born "fighting Mac" as he was known, shot himself in a Paris hotel in 1903, days before he was due to face court martial in Ceylon for homosexuality.

Whether Sir Hector had indulged in homosexual practices -- or whether the charges were part of a plot by the military establishment which had become jealous of a humble crofter`s son rising to such prominence -- has been the subject of debate for almost a century.

The memorial was erected on the instigation of the Caledonian Society.

Reference:
Monument Australia (n.d.). Hector MacDonald. Retrieved from Hector MacDonald | Monument Australia

Back