Leicas in the movies and on TV

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Greyelm, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Greyelm

Greyelm Leica Place Rookie

Mar 31, 2013
    S.London
    Malcolm
    Just for fun post any sightings of Leica cameras in movies and are they being used convincingly.

Here's a couple to start.

"Poirot" - Cpt Hastings is seen using a III or IIIa with a collapsed lens

"Polisse" - a French film with a photographer throughout the film using a black M8 in what looks to be a fairly convincing way

Over to you

2. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    I was just looking at Ebay auctions for M9s and saw one listed that had been used by Stallone in "Expendables 3". I guess that's supposed to make it more valuable. To me it just makes it "used" ;).

3. usayit

usayit Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Blood Diamond (2006). Black Leica M6 used by character Maddy Bowen played by Jennifer Connelly. At least showed the actress how to hold it properly (or maybe she already knew?). But oh yes.. movie editors couldn't help themselves and added the dreaded SLR noise to ruin the scene for Leica shooters.

4. usayit

usayit Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Spy Game (2001). Looks like another black M6 with winder/motor used by the character Tom Bishop played by Brad Pitt. Grr... hate the SLR noise they added.. use is completely wrong.

5. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Leica M6 used by Scarlett Johansson and Penelope Cruz in Woody Allen's Vicky Christina Barcelona (2008). I believe I read that it was Woody's personal camera.

6. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    During this season of Mad Men, they were working on Leica's advertising campaign. In a more recent espisode I saw Don hand a friend a new leica in a red and white box but the camera was never removed from the box. I don't go out of my way to watch this show so Leica may have been featured more in some of the earlier episodes from this season.

7. CaptZoom

CaptZoom Leica Place Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    The season opener, two episodes long, is the only mention of Leica so far. I doubt we'll hear more of it.