Showcase Leitz 50mm f/2 Summitar

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Mount Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Adam, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Adam

Adam New to Leica Place

Apr 13, 2013
    New Caledonia
    Adam
    1946 Summitar 10 blade on GXR.
    For example:
    R0013743.
    R0013112.
    I'll try find some photographs of the swirl in a few weeks, when I'm home :)

Attached Files:

2. Mr_Flibble

Mr_Flibble Leica Place Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Summitar pre-war 10 blades, No.2 yellow filter, Agfa Superpan 200 film.

ea1f62bac165df3386b94ba1f25924ec.

3. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    The first portrait (and last, as bigger size) is very flattering, "very Leica" colors and Summitar Swirlies. Shows off the "center-Sharp" aspect of the lens. I'll get some Collapsible Summicron shots up.

4. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    One of my favorite portraits with the same Summitar as above, but with a Leica I (model E, 1938)

FV100913.

5. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Great Portrait! Looks like it could be out of a book, published "in the day".

Some lenses lens themselves to black&white, I find the vintage Leica glass worked out well with it. I need to open an Uncoated 90/4 Elmar thread.

6. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Thanks Brian,

I agree, it does lend itself wel for B/W and slightly better for portraits due to it's neutral nature.

A color image from a 1943-ish Summitar 50mm f/2 taken with my Leica IIIc "K", without contrast correction in photoshop.

FS120230.

7. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    If you ever make it over here, Ft Benning Georgia has a "World War II" section. Rather than demolishing all of the old WW-II buildings, they moved them to an adjunct of the Infantry Museum. Gen Patton's office is set up, his Headquarters, Church, Barracks, etc. It is just like it was when my Dad was there.

The Summitar looks great in color as well. Looks like Kodachrome (original) colors. I traded mine off for a Hot Glass Summicron, which did not do well for color. I fixed the yellowing.

8. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    I've been trying out some Rollei Digibase CN200 film with it, but so far i'm not too impressed

DR130819.

9. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    The colors are very muted- much like a faded Ansco slide, but it might be the lighting in this one shot. The outdoor scene - also looks faded, or at least like old-style color.

We've been switching rooms in the house around, I moved "all my stuff" and found a Red filter for the Summitar. Now I need a Summitar.

10. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    I only have one yellow screw in filter for it. The "GBOOM" I believe.

Another one with the Digibase CN200 from a few months ago. I think I'll stick with Ektar or just B/W for now ;)

[​IMG]

11. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    I just bought a fully serviced Summitar from Sherry Krauter and should have it at the end of this week or sometime next week. Anxious to try it out.

12. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    50mm lenses are addictive...

13. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Yeah, what I really need is a modern o e with effective coating and the 6-bit codes for everyday (non special-effect) use.

14. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    January 2013. Summitar with GBOOM on an Leica M3 DS, Rollei/Agfa Superpan 200
    They're a little dark because I was still trying to find the best contrast settings for this film. (still haven't got it).

ICE130202.

ICE130208.

ICE130213.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Shot a roll of Kodak Hawkeye Traffic Surveillance Film with my Leica IIIc "K" and Summitar earlier this month

HE131204.

HE131211.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    That's different! You may be the first person to achieve a Digital Look with film! The grain in the first image looks like High-ISO shadow areas.

17. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Not the best film and lens combo I think. You want this film for its strong color saturation, while the summitar takes all that away ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    I wonder how big of a difference the number of blades make in the Summitar.

19. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Wide open it shouldn't make any difference at all.

20. Mr_Flibble

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    The shape of the orbs in smaller then wide-open?