lens recommendation for M3

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by aaronz28, Dec 30, 2014.

1. aaronz28

aaronz28 Leica Place Regular

Dec 17, 2014
    So, i'm thinking of spending some christmas cash on either a killer 35 or 50mm lens for my M3

if you had up to $1000 - what might you consider?

i have the 35 f 3.5 and the 50f 2.0 Leitz lenses - but the 50 needs to go in for service, and i really think i want a "special" lens for shooting film pix of the kids and cars :D

thoughts?

A

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    What "look" do you like? Spend some time in the image sample forum.

https://www.leicaplace.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

I'm completely biased, I like a Fast Sonnar. For $1,000- I put my money on the Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5.

You could also get the 35/1.7 Ultron, 50/1.5 Nokton, and 90/4 Elmar all in LTM for about that price. The M3 close-focus is to 0.9m, so the extra 0.7m M-Mount lenses do not couple below 0.9m.

3. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    I second the C Sonnar, or even better perhaps Brian can hook you up with a vintage Sonnar.

4. aaronz28

Dec 17, 2014
    i was just looking at the Zeiss lenses on eBay today -
    thats pretty much what i want - love the look and the sample images with either the 35mm or 50 are stunning -
    i could see owning both - but for now, i think i want to start with a 50.

best place to grab one? new/used/vintage - i'd rather not pop for a new one

thanks
    A

5. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Vintage. I bought a Ukrainian Jupiter 3 (Sonnar f/1.5 knock-off) and a pair of real Sonnars, one f/1.5 and the other an f/2. All are superb, and with luck very much under your budget.

6. aaronz28

Dec 17, 2014

man - i tell you what -if i could get both a 50 and 35 Zeiss vintage glass for a grand or close to it - i'd be a happy camper :D
    might not be realistic though

7. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    A very good buy is a CV 50/1.5 Aspherical LTM for $500. Add to it a Canon 35/2 for $400.
    Get film with the remaining $100.

8. ChrisBail

ChrisBail Leica Place Regular

Dec 24, 2014
    I recently bought a nice Type 1 50mm Summilux for less than a grand. I can wholeheartedly recommend putting one of those on the front of your M3.

For that matter, I've seen some used Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.1 lenses going for around $800. I really like using my 50/1.1 with the M3's nice big finder.

9. ChrisBail

ChrisBail Leica Place Regular

Dec 24, 2014
    another great bargain in 35mm is the underrated (in my opinion) Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.4. It's tiny, fast, and has a nice classic look.

10. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Aaron-

https://www.leicaplace.com/showthread.php?t=993

I have a vintage 5cm F1.5 Sonnar listed in the classifieds now, this is a custom conversion to Leica Thread Mount.

This is my article showing how to do the conversions:

http://ussrphoto.com/Wiki/Content/files/1570/Zeiss_Sonnar_conversion.pdf

There are very few pre-war Sonnars made into Leica mount, Zeiss made about 50. I've done about 40 over the past 10 years.

The Jupiter-12 is based on the Zeiss Biogon 3.5cm F2.8, often needs to be adjusted for a Leica for best focus. Very few Zeiss lenses were made in Leica mount, but the J-12 is available and fairly inexpensive.If you get one, I can adjust it or guide you in doing it.

Buying new- popflash is where I bought mine,

http://www.popflash.com/lenses/zeiss-50mm-f/1.5-zm-c-sonnar-t-lens-new-silver-usa-new/

For used- keep a watch out on the forums, here, rangefinderforum.com, getdpi.com Buy one from someone that posts on the forums, that actually uses it. For Ebay- I would only buy one from a dealer that offers full money-back and a warranty.

11. aaronz28

Dec 17, 2014
    Brian i don't think the thread mount works... mine is the M mount and i'm admittedly a novice with some of this stuff.
    if yours will work on my M3 - i'buy it today - i want one that is known good/sharp and ready to go on my M3 :D
    lemme know
    Thanks
    Aaron

12. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
  13. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Aaron- I just paired the lens with a Leica Thread Mount to M-Mount adapter, tested it on the M9 and it's a good one. I will include it on the lens, with front and rear caps.

14. aaronz28

Dec 17, 2014
    sweet - i sent a PM a few minutes ago- lets do it
    A

15. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Responded- will mark the lens as sold...

16. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Brian, do you have or can you get a Jupiter 12 for me and tune it? What would such a beast cost? I think I've got enough 50mm toys, but only have one 35mm (the excellent f/2.5 Summarit).

17. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I will keep an eye open for a J-12. I gave away the Black one that I adjusted, someone sent my a Jupiter-3 that could not be repaired. I offered to buy it for parts, the owner told me to keep it. I sent him the J-12, gift exchange.

18. asiafish

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Well if you find a good one, I'll take it.

19. Kookie B.

Kookie B. Leica Place Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    Thoughts? Sure. You don't say which 50/2 Leitz you have, but if you don't have one I don't think you could go far wrong choosing a DR Summicron. A clean, unfogged one might be hard to find, but they didn't earn their reputation for nothing.

That's my $0.02. YMMV.

Keep us informed of your choice.

Ed B.