Long, Stiff Focus

Discussion in 'Leica M and LTM Lenses' started by Kitch, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Kitch

Kitch New to Leica Place

Aug 10, 2015
    East TN
    I just bought the "Fat" 90 f2.8 Tele-Elmarit and just beginning to put it thought it's paces today. Great looking lens for the age and front and rear glass looks good. The only complaint, and it may just be inherent in the lens, is the long and somewhat stiff focus, especially from about 20 feet to Infinity. Is this par for this lens or is it due for a bit of CLA?

I believe it was made circa 1969 with a serial number of 234XXXX.

2. Mr_Flibble

Mr_Flibble Leica Place Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Focus would never be designed to be stiff. If attempting to turn the focus ring causes you to unscrew the lens from the mount, it's too stiff ;)

I would imagine the grease has hardened with age or from mixing with dust that's migrated into the helical.
    Heat or exercise might free it up, for a short while, but a CLA sounds like the wisest course of action.

3. Kitch

Kitch New to Leica Place

Aug 10, 2015
    East TN
    It's not too bad but could be more free. You're probably right about the CLA...not sure who to send it to. however.

4. Mr_Flibble

Mr_Flibble Leica Place Veteran

Aug 16, 2013
    The Lowlands
    Rick
    Well if it doesn't bother you too much, then there clearly isn't any rush for a CLA ;)

As for the Long focus throw. That's pretty inherent to long Leica lenses like the early 90mm Elmar and 135mm Hektor. It catches me off guard every time after I haven't used these lenses in a while.

5. Kitch

Kitch New to Leica Place

Aug 10, 2015
    East TN
    After I get use to it for a while I'll send it for CLA but, I would cover some suggestions as to where/who to send it to.