M240 White Balance Question

Discussion in 'Leica M Camera Forum' started by Christilou, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Sorry, still banging on about this! I set mine manually to 4800K but when I look at the info in Lightroom, it always says 4350K and I don't understand why. This doesn't change even if I use/don't use exposure comp.

2. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    I've noticed that camera output can be a bit arbitrary if I happen to have *anything* on automatic. I haven't looked for this directly, but are you shooting with everything fully manual?

Note, I haven't checked for such behavior to any certainty. I've just seen enough of it to set everything to manual values, hopefully avoiding as such.

3. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    I generally use aperture priority, auto iso and use the exp comp. Manual can take too long! I found that the wedding pics I took reverted to the highest iso's possible using this method so I think I need to take more control next time !

4. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Has anyone tried an IR Leakage test with the M240? The Lightbar on a Wii game console uses superbright IR LED's, they are lit once the console is turned on. The Hand-controller works by sending images of the IR LEDs back to the game console.

The Skin color that Christilou has shown remind me of the Nikon D1 and D2h- also had issues with IR leakage giving too-red skintone.

5. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Same thing happens to me with the M9 and Adobe Camera Raw. ACR always shows a lower Kelvin number than that set in camera. Probably some Adobe glitch.

6. tomh

tomh New to Leica Place

Mar 14, 2015
    Not sure about this but it looks like the ACR Kelvin number might be computed from the image itself. If I change camera profiles (on a camera where ACR has multiple profiles available) the Kelvin number changes. Changing the camera profile does things to color and that likely means a different computed Kelvin number comes up. Anyone have a good understanding of this?