M8. V 8.2

Discussion in 'Leica M Camera Forum' started by Hap, May 23, 2016.

1. Hap

Hap Leica Place Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2016
    so is there really a material difference between these two that knocks one of them out of consideration, no bones about it? Or is one so much better?

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    The biggest difference - the M8.2 has the quiter shutter of the M9 and M Monochrom, BUT that is limited to 1/4000th second. The M8 fires with a "Clunk" but goes to 1/8000th. The latter is why I kept it after buying the M9 and M Monochrom. I've never shot with an M8.2.

3. Hap

Jan 9, 2016
    Both cameras long in tooth and acquiring one more of a risk than buying a barnack. I wonder what is reasonable for life of sensor, shutter, and all electronics?

1/8000 is nice.

4. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    KAF-1600 in a DCS200ir, 1993. Great-Grandfather of the CCD used in the M8.

Still works, including the internal 80MByte SCSI disk that stores 50 pictures.

So- 20+ years is reasonable.

5. Hap

Jan 9, 2016
    No comment :)...but starting to zero in on that 20....oops.

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Had a visitor to my Lab that asked how I managed to get parts to keep the 20-year old Pentium Pro Tower going. I've replaced the CD reader, nothing else. Well-made electronics can last for a long time. I have a World War II Triumph Oscillograph on the same bench. I had to clean the tubes on it and replace a bakelite dial. The WW-II Infrared Scopes, cleaned the battery contacts.

7. Hap

Jan 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hap

Jan 9, 2016
    AFAIK....there is no M8 in my future. they are expensive, especially on big auction site.....given the age. I would like something digital that is made for my M mount glass. Perhaps an X Pro 2?....or a PEN F? Not M glass specific at all....but could work. Otherwise it's a Ricoh GR A12M module. alternatively, skip the M and fiddle with something like an X2.