M9 and M Monochrom Debug mode unlocked:USING "RAW"- SIDE-EFFECTS

Discussion in 'Leica M Camera Forum' started by Brian, May 28, 2014.

1. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    The "Button Dance" has been out for a few years for the M8, and "RAW" mode gives true uncompressed output. That is a real advantage for the M8, as it only supports 8-bit DNG. The M9 and M Monochrom support 8-bit and uncompressed DNG.

Now, the "Button Sequence" for unlocking the DEBUG screens for the M9 and M Monochrom have been discovered.

Here they are- tested them on my cameras.

Delete once
    up twice
    down four times
    left three times
    right three times
    info once

Use "SET" as you normally would for shooting modes, RAW modes are listed.

I don't plan on using RAW mode as I use uncompressed DNG. But some other stuff looks fun.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    I think I will stay away from messing with this. In the past I would have immediately "explored" something like this but today, well, I think I will remain happy with what I have as my M-E works just fine and sure don't want to risk turning it in to a brick.

3. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    There are many more options on the M9 and M Monochrom than on the M8. On the latter, I've tried them all. Most are simple tests to indicate whether the buttons work, some are "two-point calibration" or something like that. On the M9, more tests for SD cards- I guess because of problems with manufacturers making cards that do not conform to the standards and having problems in the camera. I have not explored them all, likely will not. Nothing jumped out at me that could "Brick" the camera.

4. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I've been using the M8 in Raw mode with M8raw2dng since November now, The RAW setting only stays in effect while the camera is left on, resets from "RAW" back to "FINE JPEG" when turned off, even on power-savings.

The M9 and M Monochrom work differently. After unlocking, the extra modes for shooting RAW appear on the screen. You can select, shoot, turn the camera off, back on, check settings- and it shows DNG. I discovered after a day of shooting that it was still recording RAW files.

I set the camera to "JPEG", fired a shot- it stored JPEG. Then set the camera to DNG, it was back to shooting DNG like normal. I decided to reload the firmware just in case, all seems fine now.

SO- took over 200 pictures and got "RAW" and "BLR" files. The BLR- I suspect "Black Level Relative", stored when slow shutter speeds are in use. The file sizes were the same as "DNG", and doing a simple rename of the file to ".DNG" fixed it.

Fortunately, I am an avid and current DOS user. In WIN7 or XP run "CMD" to hget to the command line prompt and,

REN *.RAW *.DNG

and if interested in a Black Level file to see how uniform your CCD is:

REN *.BLR *.DNG

I looked at the former RAW files in LR- will be posting. They look like straight DNG files that have not had hot pixel and black level corrections made, no magic, will not be doing this again.

14529664082_6b1dd53aa3_o. L1010543 by fiftyonepointsix

5. brusby

brusby Leica Place Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Excuse my lack of knowledge on this, but is the purpose just to get uncompressed raw files as opposed to the DNGs? And if so, do you notice any differences in image quality? Thanks!

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
  7. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
  8. xdayv

xdayv Leica Place Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Thanks for sharing, will check 'em out...

9. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    Brian,
    You need to show me how to do this stuff for my M8 when we meet.

10. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    I have my M8 with me, will teach the "Button Dance"!

• Like Like x 1