M9 and M Monochrom Sensor Replacement program: August 2017 deadline

Discussion in 'Leica News and Rumors' started by Brian, May 15, 2017.

1. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models // 2017 // Global // Leica News // World of Leica - Leica Camera AG

After the middle of August the owner will pay for part of the Sensor replacement, the replacement includes a full CLA of the camera. Cameras bought new within 5 years continue with the free replacement. My M Monochrom is in for corrosion, my even older M9 shows no signs of a problem. I will check my M9 "again", so far it does not show any signs- and I know what to look for. Note that the S8612 cover glass is more efficient than the glass used to replace it, and it was used in the Kodak DCS/n and DCS/c sensors- far older than the M9.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Kind of disappointing change from "Lifetime" coverage.

3. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    After reading the cost of the service, what the service includes, and that a 1-year warranty was placed on the camera: I'm not disappointed or worried. The full CLA plus warranty is worth the asking price, the $2500 that would have been for the CCD itself- that's on Leica.

KAF-18500-NXA-JH-AA-08 ON Semiconductor | Sensors, Transducers | DigiKey

Digikey removed the price, as the S8612 version is obsolete. I looked it up a while ago. Was ~$2500 for the detector alone.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  4. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    I am not seeing signs of M9 sensor corrosion, but maybe I am not looking for the right signs.

5. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Stop down your lens to F16, set to infinity- point at a source of flat lighting. I use the inside of a lampshade. If you seen some ugly black spots that do not move after blowing with an air blower or wet-bleaning, likely to be corrosion. Also- instead of dark spots, some looked like bubbles. My M Monochrom clearly failed this test, the M9 passed it. The M9 is older. Makes you wonder about the process used to coated the sensor, did it vary at all.

• Like Like x 2
  6. raid

raid Leica Place All-Pro

Apr 12, 2013
    USA
    Raid
    I will do such a test, Brian. So far, the M9 looks clean to me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Archiver

Archiver Leica Place Rookie

Apr 1, 2013
    I had been procrastinating on sending in my M9 for about a year, so when I saw the announcement, off it went that week. Sensor corrosion was confirmed this morning, and I've elected to have the sensor replaced and not upgrade to a M240. In the meantime, I'm fondling my M7 and taking the occasional photo when out. Camera Clinic says that it will take anywhere between 2-8 weeks depending on when more sensors arrive.

8. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    I should probably just send my M9 in ... don't know if it has corrosion or not, would have to do the lampshade test or similar.

9. Archiver

Archiver Leica Place Rookie

Apr 1, 2013
    If you notice that your images have spots, just send it in. I took mine to the local repair centre who told me that M9 owners were calling and coming in like it was the Apocalypse!