M9 battery charger

Discussion in 'Leica Accessories' started by Chris_2015, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Chris_2015

Chris_2015 New to Leica Place

Dec 21, 2015
    My charger has stopped working - I'm currently in India which has no dealers - any tips for substitutes etc?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I googled this:
    charge lithium ion battery without charger

I know of universal chargers or methods, but I know you have to get the plus/minus terminals correct in order to prevent a fire or explosion, so anyway check it out...

3. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    You can look at your charger to see which pins are marked + and Negative. Assuming Pin 1 is on the Left of the charger, + is pin 2 and - is on the farthest right- pin 3. The batter has slots for 6 pins. Pins 1 and 2 line up with the left most slots as you place the battery in the charger, pin 3 lines up with slots 6 of the battery.

I've "hot-wired" a charger for a Lithium Pack before- you must be very careful to not let it overheat. That left-most pin, pin 1, tells the Leica charger when to quit. The pack is 3.7v, meaning you should use slightly higher Voltage to charge- like 4.5v or so. I would buy two of those cell-phone back-up battery chargers that themselves charge off a USB port. Get two, cut up the cord on one to bring the power out to the Leica battery. The back-up battery pack will run out before damage can occur to the Leica battery.

2600mAh USB Portable External Backup Battery Charger Power Bank for cell phone

Is there any chance that an Internet dealer can over-night a new charger to you?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1