Medium Format Film Rangefinder

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mijo, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I've been thinking about getting into medium format film for awhile now, mainly there's a lot of people that use the community darkroom that shoot medium format. A few weeks ago I ran into a tourist with a Mamiya 7 and it was love at first sight. Since then I've scoured the internet and read as many reviews about the Mamiya 7 as I could find, most user have nothing but positive things to say about it.

If your familiar with this camera I would love to hear your thoughts on this system. I'm mainly interested in this system for landscapes and I plan to keep my existing M system (for street and low light). The native lenses for the Mamiya 7 aren't exactly fast and I'm only looking at the 80mm and 43mm lenses, maybe even just the 43mm. For landscapes for I've been doing a lot of printing in the 11x14 to 20x24" range so I think I could definately benifit with the larger format.

2. M240

M240 Leica Place Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    USA (Indiana)
    I had a black Mamiya 7 II with the 43, 80 and 150 lenses. I ended up selling it to help pay for Leica M gear. Sometimes I regretted parting with the 7 II but not so much nowadays.

It's a great camera for landscapes; the only real downside is that the lenses are slow. If you buy a used camera, you might want to send it in for a CLA to get it back to new specs. My 43mm was tack sharp but the 80mm was soft; this makes me think that the lens needed a CLA rather than the camera.

I hardly ever used the 150mm lens; I would pass on that one. If I were to reacquire a 120 rangefinder kit, I would get the 43, 65 and 80 lenses and the 7 II body, all in black.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    M240 - Thanks for the post and the heads up regarding the softness of the 80, I wasn't actually that interested in that lens but I've seen some decent deals with that lens included.