Featured Moments In Monochrome

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Checkm8, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Checkm8

Checkm8 Leica Place Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
    Just wanted to share some images taken with my Leica M246/Summicron 35mm combination. Not sure if I'm breaking any thread rules (photo limits per day), so please let me know.

I ❤️ Monochrome!

Walkway. PP1. Davenport Rails. HalfMoonSunset. ZenTree. Shipyard. Stranded.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Yes, Posting limits: We require new users to post at least Seven images on the day that they join... More if they so wish.

Thankyou for posting these- my original M Monochrom is in for a Sensor replacement and I am going through withdrawal!

The 50/2 is going to seem like a Telephoto for you for a while!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. James3900

James3900 Leica Place Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    James
    These are all fantastic

• Like Like x 1
  4. Checkm8

Apr 22, 2017
    Thank you!

5. Checkm8

Apr 22, 2017
    Canvas. Phili. Loco-Motive. Butterfly. Stairs. WWIIMem. Arlington5.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DiamondLace

DiamondLace Leica Place Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Michigan
    Wow these are all fantastic! I really love that railroad one. The angle is perfect on it. Looks like a work of art really. The boat/ship ones are pretty amazing as well. :clapping:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Checkm8

Apr 22, 2017
    Thank you very much!

I posted these in effort to illustrate my particular style to this forum, hoping to recruit any further recommendation/information toward my consideration of purchasing the "esteemed" 50mm APO Summicron. Quite the $$$ upgrade, but willing if it's truly THAT nice. Never shot 50mm. A dramatic adjustment from 35 to 50mm? Thoughts?

Please, any input from this forum will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  8. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Superb B/W shots!

35mm to 50mm is a big difference. If you have an APS-C camera, get an M adapter for that camera to try your M 35mm lens on that camera. That will have the same field of view as the 50mm on M. Scenes and portraits have to be shot further away ...

I don't have the APO, so I hope someone else can comment on it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    These images certainly illustrate your style- and a 50mm lens is going to change the perspective quite a bit.

I would suggest trying out a less expensive 50mm lens to see if the field of view of a 50 is something that you like, or want to add to the 35mm way of seeing things.

If you find yourself cropping images- then changing to the 50 would have been better. If you find yourself moving in closer to get shots, the 50 makes sense.

BUT- if these images define your style: the 50 will mean a different style of shooting. Sometimes change is good. Getting a less expensive 50 to explore it might make sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. radi(c)al_cam

radi(c)al_cam Leica Place Regular

Oct 20, 2016
    Alexander
    I was thinking exactly he same!
    I'm actually not familiar with the focal length 35mm in genuine rangefinder mount(s) [but I use the 21…25mm range, usually adapted SLR-lenses, quite often], hence I wasn't prepared to be the first one to say that ;)

• Like Like x 1