New Leica ME??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by VINCETAN, Jun 18, 2014.

1. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    With the CCD, no way it could have live-view, could it?

3. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    No- the frame readout rate of the CCD is 2FPS, and the detector would get hot if you maintained it running constantly.

Now I remember the other reason for using Liquid Nitrogen in our early sensors.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mijo

Mijo Leica Place Veteran

Apr 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    As a current M-E owner the upgraded features aren't enough to convince me that it's worth the cost for me to upgrade to the new body, it's almost like a ME-P. If they offered current M-E owners the option of sending our bodies in for upgrading I might be more inclined to do something like that rather than purchasing the new M-E. I'm excited to see that Leica is continuing to keep the CCD sensor in some of the future M bodies and not just phasing them out completely for CMOS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    I would love to see the Monochrom updated with the better screen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    An upgrade program for M9 users in order to get the better screen (and maybe updated electronics for quicker operation) would be fantastic. However, this only works if the replacement screen is the same size as the original. If the new ME has the M 240 screen, update for older models would be close to impossible.

7. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    I plan to buy a new (updated or current) ME when I get my end-of-year bonus (returned the used M9, sensor crack). Going for an improved model vs current would depend on price differential and compatibility with existing batteries. If it was sufficiently improved and at or near $6500 I'd go for it, otherwise nothing whatsoever wrong (other than crappy LCD) with current model.

8. carlb

May 1, 2013
    I'd love to get one for that sensor.

9. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    The LCD on the M8, M9, and M Monochrom does not bother me. I leave the "instant-replay" off, and only review when testing a lens. The firmware only reviews the JPEG stored as a "preview" in the DNG, not the original image itself.

Does the M 240 allow review of the DNG, or does it also work with the stored JPEG?

• Like Like x 1
  10. carlb

May 1, 2013
    You can zoom in quite a lot without degradation, so I'd think DNG.

• Like Like x 1