New member to the forum

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by peterjcb, Aug 23, 2014.

1. peterjcb

peterjcb Leica Place Rookie

Aug 22, 2014
    NC
    Hi all,
    Photography has been a longtime hobby of mine since the early late 60's when I used a Nikon F2 photomic and had a B&W darkroom....I've been keeping my toes in the water - so to speak - with various point shoots and cell phone cameras since then :(
    In the past couple years I have discovered the world of DSLR digital photography...no more mixing chemical or lingering in the darkroom for 8 straight hours at a time. I'm basically a Pentax guy because I love the way they are built and feel. I have a pretty serious collection of Pentax gear including all the Limiteds and primes. I've always loved Leica but it has always been out of my budget.
    I recently picked up a used Leica D-Lux 4 and I've only had it for a short time but I love it already. I love the way this little compact renders a photo and who knows, I might venture out in the future & pick up a good used M9 someday.
    I'm looking forward to learning more about the Leica cameras here on the forum....Cheers!

• Like Like x 4
  2. ajramirez

ajramirez Leica Place Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Welcome aboard to Leicaplace- and you are off to a good start. I shot a very long time with my F2's- bought my first one in 1978. Then switched to Nikon RF's 18 years ago, and a Leica M3 not long after. The Leica M8- bought used about 5 years ago, also a camera to be considered on a budget. The draw for me to the Leica- 80+ years of lenses available for use.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Hello, nice to meet you :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. JT07

JT07 New to Leica Place

Aug 24, 2014
    I second the don't underestimate the M8 as a great way to enter the Leica world at a more modest price point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JT07

JT07 New to Leica Place

Aug 24, 2014
    And I almost forgot. Welcome to the forum, it's actually my first day myself

• Like Like x 2
  7. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Couldn't agree with you more.

8. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Welcome, I hope to see some of your pictures soon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. peterjcb

Aug 22, 2014
    NC
    The reason I was looking at the M9 is because I want a Full Frame sensor. I have a very nice collection of Pentax FA Limited lenses and am very curious to see the results of these lenses on an M9. Maybe I'm just get an adaptor and rent an M9 for a week.
    Waiting to see what develops at Photokina next month....prices on everything should drop at the end of the year.....

10. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    If you're interested in using non-M Mount lenses on a Leica you must have the older M9 confused with the latest M (240) that has Liveview where you can use other types of lenses. The M9 does not have Liveview and requires an M mount lenses whether it's made by Leica, Zeiss or Voigtlander due to how the lens mount/rangefinder focusing system works.

So your existing Pentax lenses won't work on the M9.

11. peterjcb

Aug 22, 2014
    NC
    ...darn, I thought that I could just buy a Pentax K mount to Leica M mount adaptor...oh well, then I'll have to hope that Pentax releases a full frame camera at Photokina next month which probably will not happen.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying my little D-LUX 4.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterjcb/sets/72157646264531627/

12. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf Leica Place Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    you out can use your Pentax lenses with an M mount adapter on the latest Leica M (typ 240) and there are used ones out there on the market if you don't want to pay retail.

However, IMO, the beauty of the Leica M system is the Leica lenses. There's a reason they're expensive and one of those reasons is their size and of course more importantly how well they draw.

13. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
  14. peterjcb

Aug 22, 2014
    NC
    ...this past Sunday I took a walk to a small & artsy part of town, I went into a couple of stores along the main street and happened to meet a guy loaded down with his full frame Canon 5D something or other and lugging a bag of accessories. I stopped and introduced myself and was intrigued by his camera. Now I've heard and I know what a full frame camera is but I've never picked one up....the thing is big & heavy!! I'm a Pentax APS-C guy and those are about as big as I'd like to go after seeing his full frame.
    The point of my little story is that I had my little Leica D-LUX 4 with me and was snapping away while he must have been lugging around 10 lbs of equipment and I never saw him take a shot! As I was departing he asked me if I would send some photos of him & his dog and I naturally said I'd get them over to him. Well, the guy emailed me back and he was blown away by the images that I sent him! To be honest with you, I'm amazed more & more everyday at the quality of the images out of this little camera :)
    One of these days I'l get my hands on Monochrome M my dream camera....:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Let me know if you visit Northern Virginia- the Monochrom is amazing.

[​IMG]

Gunston Hall is one of my favorite places for it.

This is with a $65 lens, a Jupiter-12 35/2.8.

• Like Like x 3
  16. peterjcb

Aug 22, 2014
    NC
    So after reading up on the M8 and the M9 I have decided to get my feet wet with an M8 and a Leica 28mm Elmarit 2.8 lens.
    I found pretty good deals on both in EX+ conditions and with a low shutter count on the M8.
    Ultimately, if I decide that the M system is something that I want to stay with and build on, I plan on selling some of my existing gear over the next year and getting what I really want which is a Monochrom.
    So, the M8 feels really solid and I love the build quality and the Elmarit lens is as sharp as anything I've ever used and I've got some very nice Pentax lenses. I took a few quick shots tonight down by the lake and hopefully I"ll get a chance to take it out tomorrow.
    PS. I might add that both shot were taken while I was riding my bicycle...they came out surprisingly sharp.... :)
    I love this camera already!

15292347135_8498cfc1c7_c. sunset_fishing_PS6 by peterjcb, on Flickr

15105759960_476abe411c_c. two_canoes_PS6 / Topaz by peterjcb, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  17. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Those shots look really good; there is something about the M8 that lends itself to monochrome conversions.

• Like Like x 1
  18. peterjcb

Aug 22, 2014
    NC
    Thanks Brian, I haven't had the chance to use the camera much, these were the first shots I've taken with it. The M8 requires a little more effort that the AF Pentax bodies that I've been shooting with.....but the M8 is pretty basic with it's controls and easy to figure out. I didn't even have to read through a manual which is nice.
    As a person who had a full working darkroom complete with a dry mount press many years ago, I have a love of black & white photography and hope someday to own a Monochrom when the used prices on it drop in the future and I can sell some of my Pentax gear....

• Like Like x 2