Nikkor 8.5cm f2.0

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by VINCETAN, Feb 28, 2014.

1. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    I bought one of these from ebay and just got it today. I noticed a couple of things, turning the aperture is a little stiff from 2.8 to 2. I also notice a couple of spot on the inner side of the rear element.

any recommendation on where I could send the lens to have it lubricated and cleaned. How much should I expect to pay/

Thanks
    Vince

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    Brian, thanks for that. I just found a link showing how to dismantle the lens http://www.nicovandijk.net/rftelelensrepair.htm

So I tried it and was able to get to the rear element. Alas, the small piece of what I thought was dirt was actually either a bubble or something embedded on the glass itself. Some of the spots are easier to deal with and it is clearer now.

However, the aperture is still an issue. Is this an easy thing to tackle? Where adjusting from 2.8 to 2 is stiff.

Thanks
    Vince

4. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Is there oil on the blades? Any dirt? Flood cleaning the blades with lighter fluid, I prefer Ronsonol, usually fixes that problem. Additionally, The Jupiter and Sonnar lenses use grease under the aperture ring to dampen the action. After 50 years, it's like wax. I clean it out and replace with vacuum pump grease.

5. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    Hmm, sounds like a job that I probably will pass to the professionals. But due to the spot on the lens, I might just live with this lens the way it is.

BTW, is there any big difference between this and a Zeiss Jena Sonnar? Is the Zeiss any better? I got an offer for a Zeiss at under $500 but the focusing might be a little tight. Otherwise, the whole thing looks pretty good.

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Zeiss Sonnars in Leica mount are rare, there were some converted to Leica mount after the War. If the glass is clean, and it focus is accurate- go for it.

The Nikkor is sharp, the Zeiss probably has a little smoother Bokeh. BUT- The Zeiss in Leica mount is rare.

7. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    Nah, this one is a contax mount. Since I am using it with a M 240 or a Sony A7r, I am able to use the Contax lens with a cheap adapter :)

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    In that case- stick with the Nikkor lens and buy a chrome Jupiter-9 in Leica Thread Mount. The 1950s KMZ Jupiter-9's are very close to the Sonnar.

This is my "Specially modified" Jupiter-9, KMZ glass mounted to reduce the focal length, match the RF of the camera. You will not need to do that on the Mirrorless camera.

At F4,

[​IMG]

And wide-open

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. VINCETAN

Aug 19, 2013
    I always am a sucker for a good portrait lens and finally got to try the 8.5 Nikkor today on the A7r.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3