novice help with M3 and Vivitar 283 shooting indoors

Discussion in 'Leica M Camera Forum' started by aaronz28, Dec 17, 2014.

1. aaronz28

aaronz28 Leica Place Regular

Dec 17, 2014
    Hi,

i am a somewhat novice hobby photographer that recently bought a M3 - i wanted the best film camera i could get so i popped for a rig that had the M3, the summacron 50mm f/2, and 35mm f3.5
    and a 90mm f4

i also bought a vivitar 283 and have been shooting around the house with the flash at 45degree - shooting 400iso color film, and the F at 4 - and trying out shutter speeds anywhere from 1/150 to 1/500

anyone with experience that could help me dial this in before I waste a ton of cash on over and underexposed film - i'd greatly appreciate it

i tried doing some sample images with my digital set the same and get really good results but i suspect that there is quite a difference between the calibration and sensing of a Nikon D7000 even in full manual mode and what i'm doing on the M3 - -

help please :D

thanks

Aaron

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Aaron- you MUST set the shutter speed to 1/50th of a second or slower, nothing faster with an electronic flash. There is a "Lightning Bolt" on the shutter speed dial- that is the fastest you can use it.

Free manual for the M3 here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/joechan/pdf/leica_m3_manual.pdf

See page 27.

AND- welcome to Leicaplace. We are here to help!

3. aaronz28

Dec 17, 2014
    thanks Brian - that lightning bolt is not on my M3 shutter speed -
    but i was shooting at 1/250 and faster so i'm guessing black images are coming my way LOL

i'll shoot some more at 1/50th for the rest of this role -

and i'll give that manual a good read -
    thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    You have an earlier Leica M3, with 1/50th of a second on the dial. Same speed as before for Sync, just the shutter-speed dial has different speeds marked than the one in the Manual. Yours is a "Double-Stroke", a bit earlier than my own.

5. aaronz28

Dec 17, 2014
    yes a double stroke - i think i dated it to 1955? i can't recall right now...

here are some pix...

View attachment 9367 View attachment 9368 View attachment 9369 View attachment 9370

6. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    Nice Setup. I have the collapsible Summicron as well, great performer. As is the 9cm F4 Collapsible Elmar, and the Summaron.

I would try the damp Q-Tip around the aperture ring. I did this with mine, for the same reason. On the Summicron: The front section simply unscrews, exposing the aperture blades. The aperture ring stays with the main body. . BUT BE CAREFUL! If you turn it upside down, or use an air blower- the blades can come loose and out. Check the lenses with a light from behind, check for haze. You have a great kit.

Similar to the Rigid, the difference is the Collapsible Summicron main body stays in the Mount- the Rigid, the lens head comes out of the focus mount.

15149442194_7d75ea660f_o. Exif_JPEG_PICTURE

Look on Ebay for "The Leica Manual" by Morgan and Lester, many editions from the 1930s up. Look for one with the M3, ~1955 or 1956.

7. aaronz28

Dec 17, 2014
    so in the interest of saving film -

lets assume have 50mm lens on my Nikon SLR - - if i set the exposure, shutter, and aperture identically on the M3 as with my Nikon (which is a D7000 btw)
    will taking an identical photo on each camera yield similar results? or is there additonal compensation built into the new SLRs? and what need I do to achieve proper exposures?

I ask because I"m going to be shooting a ton of film over the holidays and i'd like not to miss out on good memories with film :D

thanks

8. Brian

Apr 3, 2013
    You should be good setting the exposure the same on the Nikon and the M3, make sure the Nikon is set to the same ISO as the film in the camera.

You will most likely be shooting color or black and white negatives with the M3, lots of latitude- big margin for exposure.

Using the Vivitar flash: set the camera to 1/50th, set the exposure dial of the Vivitar up for the film speed, select an "Auto" setting with the 283 electric eye. Then- just set the aperture of the lens and the flash controls lighting. I have a Vivitar 283, let me know what ISO film you will use- I can verify the setting.