Portra 400 Portrait

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Christilou, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Christilou

Christilou Leica Place Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    I took some pictures yesterday evening as my youngest daughter was getting ready to go to a Muslim wedding. Of course she was rushing and didn't keep still and I had just picked up the M wearing the Voigtlander 35 1.2. On reflection I think that the 50mm would have been better but I wasn't sure because she was in her room and I thought I would need to go wider than 50, anyway live and learn! I found it extremely difficult to focus at 1.2, there was no peaking in the Oly evf and it became guesswork in the end. I did get a couple that I liked in any case albeit out of focus somewhat :)

13006125574_4b8861d8cc_b.
    Portra by christilou1, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    It looks good to me, on the focus: I use a 1.25x magnifier with my fast lenses and telephoto's. I have the Leica magnifier and a Chinese one from Ebay, which is very good as well. The latter runs ~$100 or so.

• Like Like x 1
  3. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    Any reason you didn't use the rangefinder? I'd think it would be faster than EVF with. 35mm lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Christilou

Apr 5, 2013
    Well, I've found generally that it's quicker to use the magnify view in the evf when I feel rushed, I don't quite trust myself with the rangefinder and usually use both in a normal situation. I focus with the RF and check in the evf, for composition as much as focus. I find the Voigtlander to be quite deceptive in RF as what I thought was focussed very often isn't even near when checked with the evf. This doesn't apply to any other of my lenses for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  5. russelljtdyer

russelljtdyer Leica Place Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Milan, Italy
    Russell J.T. Dyer
    Using Kodak Portra 400

Christine,

I'm confused about the photo you posted. You named this thread, "Portra 400 Portrait", but you said you used your "M" to take the photo. Is that a Leica M digital camera, or is it just short for a Leica M-n film camera? I'm assuming it was with a film camera. So did you take this photo with Kodak Portra 400 film?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should use that film, sometimes. I tried a roll of Portra 400 once with the Leica CL I used to own, but all of the photos were terribly grainy. I've later realized the problem was with the light meter. I haven't tried that film again, though. I like very much Kodak Portra 160, so I should like the 400 ASA version. Do you have any recommendations regarding it? For instance, do you use it only indoors? How much lighting is needed? Have you tried it in very low lighting? What are your aperture and shutter duration settings? Any suggestions on getting the most out of the Portra 400 would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Russell

6. Christilou

Apr 5, 2013
    Russell, sorry not to be clear but there are not many of us here and as I had already posted a few pictures using VSCO 05 presets, I made an assumption that the others here would realise that it was just a continuation of a theme! You are right to be confused :eek: I use an M240 and I recently bought some VSCO film presets that are supposed to emulate various film types. They do require a lot of tweaking but sometimes I do like the results, particularly for skin tones. The beauty of digital is that I can wipe out the grain entirely unless I really want it there :)

7. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Beautiful, Christine. I can commiserate on getting the perfect manual focus at wide apertures and on-the-fly. One idea that might be worth trying is to apply post-processing sharpening to the eyes in the above portrait. The overall softness is a plus, but it might be that adding some crispness to the eyes could make it pop ...

• Like Like x 1