Priest After Wedding with Leica Q

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by dalethorn, Jun 20, 2015.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

This 'Q' image took hours to process, due to hundreds of odd artifacts (scratches, holes, chips, discolorations) that add to the aesthetics of this historic church - the walls, doors etc., but which looked bad in the photograph, because the camera just doesn't resolve them correctly. Although the Q has tremendous 'latitude' as I call it in terms of changing color, contrast and other properties of the image (without creating new problems), the JPEG image does suffer from digital artifacting - most noticeable around the face.

Leica Q, f1.7, 1/15 handheld, ISO 200.
    Charleston_Church_Grace_Episcopal01_s.

2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I would like to see the original.

Does the problem show up with the in-camera JPEG, DNG, or both?

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I didn't shoot a DNG on this one. The artifacts I noted are just the usual facial problems such as eyebrows not resolved fully, or glasses blending into the face in places, etc. If it had been a portrait with the face occupying a large portion of the image, artifacts wouldn't be an issue, but as it is the face is very small, so the usual rules apply. No complaints on my part, but it does reaffirm to me that I'd like to have a 100-200 megapixel image size to get around this sort of thing.

4. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    You might try DNG with it, then process and export. More bits recorded in an image will increase resolution. With 8-bits, a number of close- intensity pixels get thrown together, lose resolution. Give it a try- might make a difference.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Thanks - I won't be using Lightroom, so I'm going to need a simple DNG processor, kind of like what I used with the Panasonic G1 a few years ago. (Silkypix?)