Question for M Film Camera Owners

Discussion in 'Leica M Camera Forum' started by Biro, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Biro

Biro Leica Place Rookie

Mar 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    For those who own Leica film cameras, how do you process your images? Do you still have darkrooms? Do you send out your film to be professionally developed into negatives? And, once that's done, do you have them printed professionally? Do you do your own printing? Do you scan your negatives and then switch to a digital work flow?

I'm asking because, as I search for a Leica film camera of my own, I'm trying to work out some of these questions for myself. I'll probably be shooting mostly black and white. I used to have a darkroom in the 70s and 80s. But I suspect that won't be practical for me these days. I'd like to know how others are managing their work flow.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    "When i have more free time"- I will start doing B&W again, process the negatives and scan them. I have the enlarger and support equipment, but the develop and scan allows this to be done in a half-bathroom.

• Like Like x 1
  3. asiafish

asiafish Leica Place All-Pro

Aug 9, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA
    Andrew
    I drop mine at a local lab for developing and high-quality scanning.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cobbu2

cobbu2 Leica Place Regular

Sep 17, 2014
    Rockville, MD
    Almost always I'm using black and white film; I process it myself then scan to jpeg files with some adjustment in PS Elements. I have a darkroom and print only the images I want to display at home or on request by others.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chris0202

chris0202 Leica Place Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    I also mainly use B&W film and process myself. TMAX in HC-110 takes 5-6 minutes developing and 5 min fixing. Not really too time consuming. Slides go to AgX.

Scanning wise, I use my digital camera and macro lens. This involves more manual labor and getting-used-to but "scans" faster and yields better results (as you can do stacking without losing resolution).

• Like Like x 1
  6. M. Valdemar

M. Valdemar Leica Place Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    New York City
    I still use Clark photo for C41. Cheap, takes a week to ten days, you get back prints and negatives.

Very good quality.

ClarkColor -

• Like Like x 2
  7. JonVdG

JonVdG New to Leica Place

Apr 29, 2016
    Boulder, Colorado
    Jon
    I have mine developed at a pro lab who also does high resolution scanning, and then I print them myself from the digital files in my studio. Gone are the days when I had enough space for and time for my own darkroom. Today, many of the higher quality labs do a really nice job of developing and scanning, so I leave that to them because most of my work is digital and I just can't justify an analog lab. I used to let them print both my film and digital work, but I found that they could never quite match the print quality I get when I do it myself. My printer takes up a bit of space in my studio and requires some maintenance, but I'll never again let someone else print my work. I've worked with some of the best and they do good work, but printing is just too personal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Horn38

Horn38 New to Leica Place

Feb 14, 2016
    For B&W, I do myself, for color I use a lab!