Real turkey of a shoot

Discussion in 'Nature' started by carlb, Jun 11, 2014.

1. carlb

carlb Leica Place Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 1, 2013
    Was thinking that the shoot was going to be a bust, when along came:

14393165844_253425bc23_b. damsel - no distress by cbmn, on Flickr

and also:

14414443683_ec9be9bd11_b. velociturkey by cbmn, on Flickr

So, I never can know when a turkey of a shoot is going to become a great turkey shoot. :)

M 240, 35-70mm f4 with macro

• Like Like x 6
  2. Brian

Brian Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 3, 2013
    He was up close- did the Turkey even notice you were there?

3. carlb

May 1, 2013
    Yes, definitely wary of me. I'll guess sized me up as not too much of a threat, though.

From the UC Berkeley, a page shows them as modern day saurischian dinosaurs - sharing a group with velociraptors and T-Rex:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/museum/events/bigdinos2005/turkey.html

I can certainly see the similarities to models of velociraptor that I've seen. As far as carnivorous or not, Turkeys do eat lizards, bugs, slugs, snakes along with their berries, hickory nuts, you name it.

He was with two other birds that I could see, I'll always see them in small groups - my guess is to make individual survival more likely when larger predators attack. In my mind's eye I can see velociraptors doing exactly the same.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amin

Amin Administrator

Mar 28, 2013
    That's awesome. I can definitely see the resemblance in the photo you posted!

• Like Like x 1
  5. VINCETAN

VINCETAN Leica Place Top Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    I love the color of the first one. As for the turkey, I chicken out when I get that close to a turkey

6. carlb

May 1, 2013
    It's that time of year again. Saw one in the front yard just this afternoon. I caught it with the Stylus 1, but it had moved away quite a bit by then. I'll post a pic of it a bit later.